Hairspray technique for paint chipping effect.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I assume that you must use acrylic with enamel when doing the technique? I really don't want to buy more paint since all I use is enamel.

Tom

No just acrylic because its easier to thin it off little by little, if you use enamel over enamel then its harder to whipe off with the thiner.

[SC] Arachnicus;922864 said:
I'm going to try the salt method.

It's very difficult to be subtle with this system. It can look very good on a well weathered subject but is difficult to get in scale.

Cheers

Steve

It's a 1:72 and I have popcorn salt which is tiny.

One thing I noticed is that when you drop the salt on the water detergent mix on the plane, it will leave a bit of discoloration where you brushed it on once you spray a acrylic layer over it. Upon future investigation of this method, that is a expected result and some say that the discoloration adds to the effect.

The only way I am going to know the known result reference using enamels and acrylics is to test it out and see what works. I hear great advice but everyone seems to tell me advice that contradicts the other.

Below is the result of painting this scrap wing with a base coat of aluminum, then a coat of enamel flat clear coat, then with a water detergent mix that you paint on the area with a brush. The with the area wet apply the salt then let it dry. Apply the acrylic top coat then when that dries take a paint brush and brush off the salt crystals. Please note that I did not take anytime to move the salt around I just wanted to see what would happen.

As they said the salt crystals came off with ease leaving a chipping effect. It's a little too uniform of chip sizes but again I was testing to see what happened.

The only problem I noticed with this as I said in the previous post is that it leaves a bit of discoloration from the chemical reaction of the salt and acrylic paint.

IMG_0977.jpg

Yeah... but it does give you the effect. Interesting. And looks to 1/72nd scale for the most part. Now how to get the salt distributed so that it looks less "uniform".

Getting it less uniform is not really that hard but perhaps a bit tedious. You brush the areas where you would have chipping and when putting on the salt remove and move around the crystals. Perhaps also adding table salt crystals here and there so the sizes of the chips vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back