Harley Davidson Closing Plant Due to Declining Sales

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles.
Generation X is only buying a few, and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why.

Here are 25 reasons why Millennials don't ride Harleys:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.
2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.
3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.
4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.
5. Don't have enough strength to hold the bike up when stopped.
6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency medical care or extensive psychological counseling.
7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.
8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college working on a degree in Humanities, Art History, or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.
9. They are allergic to fresh air.
10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.
11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.
12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen or voice commands.
13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.
14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.
15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.
16. Harleys don't have power steering or power brakes.
17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.
18. They would have to use leg muscles to back up.
19. When stopped, a light breeze might blow exhaust fumes in their face and cause nearly instantaneous cancer.
20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-softened water.
21. Harleys burn gasoline and that supports the big oil companies.
22. Can't use both thumbs for texting while riding.
23. Can't use a Harley to earn extra money driving for Uber or Lyft.
24. Harleys don't provide enough sun protection for those spending most of their time playing video games in their Mom's basement.
25. The Harley roar would scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy

I thought I heard they were going to build three wheelers,
almost like training wheels!!!!!!
Still wouldn't back-up tho,
and their pants would STILL dissaper into the itty bitty crack in their arses!

Yours truly,
Bill DAVIDSON!

... and Indian sales continue an upward trend ...

No doubt the HD electric bike (late 2019) will turn the tide!

The average age of Harley buyers is about the same as that of Oldsmobile buyers, before GM closed it down.

It's somewhat ironic that HD was saved by protectionism and is now being damaged by it.

offensive-word-protection.jpg

Well, no doubt they'll tell you there is a Harly module for IL2 that is every bit as good as the real thing.

And when they add a soon-to-be-available anamatronic biker babe, it'll be even better than a real hog.

AnimatronicBabes-1.jpg

mikewint said:
Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles
Yeah, mostly older people, though generation X covers 1965-1977 and I've seen people around 40 driving a motorcycle.

My reason is I never even learned how to ride a bike lol (I know that sounds comically absurd, but it's true -- you'd think I'd have gotten around to it, but go figure)

Stability in inherent in the very design, basically you learn NOT to interfere with the bike and just sit still and peddle. Keep the front wheel from turning left or right and just give a riderless bike a good push and it will happily roll along perfectly upright for quite a long way till friction slows it down.
Steering does take time to learn as it is counter-intuitive and changes with velocity. At low speed you do actually turn the handlebars and front wheel in the direction you want to go in BUT at higher speed the steering reverses and you actually push FORWARD on the right grip to go right and FORWARD on the left grip to go left.
Pushing forward on the right grip flips the bike over on its right side and the beveled shape of the tires take over much like a paper cup laying on its side. The bottom diameter is smaller than the top diameter so the top rim goes further with each revolution of the cup. As the cup rolls it naturally follows a circle. It works exactly the same with a bicycle/motorcycle tire. The further you lean the bike on its side the shorter you make in inside tire diameter so the bike make a sharper and sharper turn. Note that motorcycle racers will actually scrape their inside knee on the ground while turing

My Brother had an HD and a couple of years ago changed it with a big BMW.
"Why this change?" I asked him.
"You can't really afford an HD if you are less than 6' 4" and 20 stones..." he said.

Shame you couldn't keep it.

Agreed but like I said parts were outrageous most custom made. A single muffler was $800 for example. Then there was finding the needed part. I was always afraid to go too far from home lest something go sprong and I could not find a part. Lastly theft, no lock or chain was going to secure it if someone really wanted it.
A L O N G lift of things I had and wish I had again: All my comic books from 1950, my Little Orphan Annie cereal bowl, cup, and decoder ring. all those Pez dispensers, my LC Smith shotgun, my Colt Python, GPa's '57 Chevy Bel Air....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back