HARS Museum updates and sometimes requests (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That I am.......

Today I was at the museum, talking over the layout for some lettering on a plane.

Then I have started work on a 747 display model. Not everyone has a 747 on their dining table!!! Or get to change an 747 engine. One is missing, the second I took off to make a mold, if I can;t get one from the Kiwi model builder. It's hard to see but one of the winglets is broken, have to repair that.

The second is a rather large 707 to Overhaul. It's been relegated to be Out of sight. It really is a mess. Wings are split, paint is crazed. It's going to be an ongoing project. See the wing detail. The fuselage needs massive work. Windows, logos, markings, the lot.

The third is the most interesting. It's an Original, 1945 C-47 maintenance trailer. This is just one side, but all them tools are original RAAF issue, 1945 when the ADF took delivery of the C-47 behind me when I took this picture, and it's still flying. The Douglass logo will be painted across the doors! WIN WITH WINGS ......... Douglas.

The museum will be closed for two months for final finishing touches inside the hall and other safety stuff for visitors. I will be busy! More later.

Attachments

• 707-1.jpg
    707-1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 707-2.jpg
    707-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 747-1.jpg
    747-1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 84
  • AVW0453.gif.jpg
    AVW0453.gif.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 79
  • c-47 tools.jpg
    c-47 tools.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 91
I've started sanding the wing of the 707. Taking off that ugly crazing and it's not too bad. I guess I'll have to try super glue on the cracks in the leading edges of the fiberglass. I'll just use industrial rattle can primer which I think I will fill some of the spider webbing.

The 747 I have used some Miliput to form the winglet. I drilled a couple of small holes, made a hoop of fine wire and this is inside the Miliput as re-bar. I'll start filing tomorrow. Pictures then.

I scored today on some sign painters paint for the Piagio. I didn't want to use crap paint from the hardware. Visited a sign shop and he gave me the bottom 1/4 of a can of black One Shot brand enamels. Saved 40 bucks for a pint of paint!!!!! This is Not your run of the mill paint! And as a supplier, and he's got about 50 years supply of sign paint, I may convince him to donate a can of each color to the museum which will be tax deductible!!!!! I may have a sign shop inside the museum, whoo hoo.

Till tomorrow.

Here's what I have done the last two days.

Attachments

• 747-4.jpg
    747-4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 747-5.jpg
    747-5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 747-6.jpg
    747-6.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 747-7.jpg
    747-7.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 747-8.jpg
    747-8.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 747-9.jpg
    747-9.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 47
Nice work there Bill, and good news on the paint. I know what you mean about the cost and the quality - there's a place here in my town who supply paints to sign-writers, coach painters and the auto trade, where I used to get my coach paint for re-painting my old rally car and Land Rover. Twenty years ago, it was around £20 or more per liter !

Thanks guys.
This is really testing my metal tho..... I can still screw it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back