HARS Museum updates and sometimes requests

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And...............

I have to say, if it were not for finding this forum, and the help and standards it's members builds set...............

I would not have this good fortune now.
"Luck, is opportunity..............
meeting Preparation"

If one has not developed the skills,
opportunity means nuttin.
For that..... I thank each and every one!

Back at HARS today, found some odds and ends for a bench. An old wood frame and two pieces of a counter top for the top, only one half is shown in the photo.

Just for an idea of scale, the bench top is about 7 feet long! That's how big the cut-a-way Connie is. It's one wing is behind it against the wall. The tail is all chipped up at the back end and will need Bondo, sanding and paint.

The 747B standing on it's tail will need paint and new decals. The one on the end of the bench is quite nice with a good wash.

This is just the beginning. More work needed on the bench.

Attachments

• first of many.jpg
    first of many.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 65
Great stuff Bill. As a kid, I used to be fascinated by those large-scale, cutaway models in the windows of Travel Agents - always wanted one for my bedroom!

These thing weren't around when I was a kid............. or just wasn't around a travel agency!
I've got a few days work!
The finished bench will be about 14 feet long, and I'll need every inch.

Yes I am, and now with the 1/72nd Italeri Dakota I got in the raffle for a fiver I have three to build for the display. The Connie, F-111 and the C-47 I am having even More fun!

I've got artwork underway for all three now, and someone to print them.
The forgiving thing is Nothing will be as complex to build as the Connie.

So today I went out and got the casting resin, came back and pulled an engine out of the mold. I've a few bumps and lumps to take care of. If I had a vacuum chamber it would be flawless, but alas! I have to deal with what I've got.

I'm Almost 95 percent happy with them. They will be okay!

I'll be back on the 707 wings again soon.

Attachments

• 747-13.jpg
    747-13.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 82
Looking good!
That is one thing I have never done. Thought about it, but that is as far as I have gotten.

Bill, as I type, there are several Mattel Vac u forms for sale on eBay. I don't know enough about them when they were new and of course, buyer beware. This is just in case you're looking to go down that route.

Geo

Not a vacuum FORM, a CHAMBER!
It would be a sealable Chamber. A tank to pull a vacuum in. After mixing the mold silicon you put it in the chamber, pull a vacuum on it to remove bubbles before making the mold and it becomes very smooth, no pits in the cast part.

What I have done is the easy way, but has to be repaired a bit because of the bubbles in the mold.

I'm filling and sanding. Had a big lesion on the tail pipe so I used Miliput to repair, that is out of reach and will be sanded down before priming and painting. It's going well!

So my last update on the 747 desk model...... she's done!

1)..... I had to do a little filling on a crack in the fence. Didn't want to use Bondo because of it's softness. I remembered a friend in the States built custom guitars. To fit the pick-ups into their holes snugly he used a combination of Baking Soda and Super Glue. So I thought I would give it a go. Filled the joint with the Soda and dropped the glue into it. It stayed liquid long enough to sorta smooth the mixture over the gap. It sanded much differently then straight super glue, much easier, and smoother. Worked a treat.
2) New engine is on the left, inboard.
3) The new wing tip fence.
4) And the model complete. I just hope I don't break it on the way in to his office!

Back on to the big 707.

Attachments

• 747-14.jpg
    747-14.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 747-14a.jpg
    747-14a.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 747-14b.jpg
    747-14b.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 747-14c.jpg
    747-14c.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 61
It's too big for my loungeroom.
I have no idea how one can collect these things to display at home. I can't decide if it's money well spent or not. This one would sell new for 750+ US! I don't have that kind of liquid assets!

Attachments

• 747-15 fini.jpg
    747-15 fini.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back