HARS Museum updates and sometimes requests

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, looks like the old Airfix 1/24th scale scale Harrier GR1 kit, since re-released as a GR3.

And................ ta da

After another search I have found a picture of XV788 on airliners.net which is quite a web site.
But whoever built it got all the hanging stuff realllly wrong! And.... no refuel snorkel!

But I sailor on re-assembling the beast.

Attachments

• 2264445.jpg
    2264445.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 77
Good find Bill. That's the early Harrier glossy paint scheme, from the late 1960s, with the SNEB pods inboard, where the drop tanks would normally be, leaving the outboard pylons free for bombs, and also fitted with the two 30mm gun pods under the fuselage. The re-fuelling probe was a 'bolt on' part, fitted as required.
The later scheme was the 'wrap around' grey/green camouflage, with blue/red roundels and fin flash. When on winter exercise in Norway, the grey areas of camouflage were over-painted in washable white distemper.

Wow.... now that information is something I never expected. So it seems the builder was pretty specific for the scheme, amazing. I guess this would be reason enough to include this with the model? I may make up a little card to go with it, yes? Thanks for that.

Yesterday back to the museum. I spotted a display cabinet hidden away, about 7-8 feet long, two shelves and the bottom. I'm gonna check and see if I can snaffle it for the model display.

Took a photo of an engine cutaway we have on display.

Another of the work platform for the Black Cat if someone may be interested in making one for a Cat.

And the back view of the DHC-4 Caribou, and a view out the back!!!!! Yeo, 20 of us volunteers signed our lives away for a 40 minute ride up the coast. Ooooooo, I was one of the lucky ones. And I've only been there for two weeks!!!!!

Attachments

• R2800.jpg
    R2800.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Cat platforms.jpg
    Cat platforms.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 70
  • of this.jpg
    of this.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 72
  • out the back.jpg
    out the back.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Karl.

Museum Friday.
I have located a better cabinet for model displays and have been given the okay to use it. So now I can get rid of that dodgey big plastic thing.

I'll be meeting up with the co-ordinator for filing the original drawings from de Haviland!!!!!! They are being scanned and a library will be made available.

I'll be taking some photos of the Tracker S2F-G if I can get inside access, otherwise just outside stuff. Wings are off and will try and find the outer sections.

Updates;
And so today went in to the museum. Cleaned up and moved the cabinet in place and got all the models in place. Still needs glass for the second shelf and will have to see when I can get them.

I found out the bloke who made most of the 1/72nd stuff was a retired RAAF Sgt. He had made one of every type of RAAF aircraft, plus these. The others were donated to another museum and the balance came here by his widow. I have to make something up for him as well.

The big propeller is on a hand made round engine, the particulars are kinda sketchy. The cylinder heads rotate with the prop. He madethe prop as well. It actually ran before it was donated to the museum. I have to find out about it and make a small information sheet for it.

Now that I have these cases sorted, it will be time soon to put the word out locally for some donations of Aussie marked airplanes that saw service. I want to have a case of "stories". Built kinda like our GB's with a personal story behind the plane.

Of interest;
Found out the G model Tracker is owned by one of the volunteers. He wants to get it back to Taxi condition. Got a couple of serviceable round engines, but no papers, so flying on them is not possible. It used to be a USN aircraft and flew off the Kittyhawk at one time before coming to the RAAF. I have about 30 photos I took today, but cannot find the thread on the Tracker build to post some Thumbnails.

Talking to a lot of the volunteers today, there are a lot of old model builders at HARS. Couldn't believe the number of guys that are happy someone is finally taking care of the exhibiting of the models.

I shot a couple of pics of the Saber!

Request****
One of the 72nd DC-3's needs props, anyone got two extra?
Or, what other plane used the same prop? I'll get an after market set.

"That is all"

Attachments

• F-86 1.jpg
    F-86 1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 80
  • F-86 2.jpg
    F-86 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 82
  • F-86 3.jpg
    F-86 3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 88
  • new case.jpg
    new case.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Great stuff Bill. That engine looks like it might be a scaled-down Bentley or Le Rhone rotary engine, as used in the Sopwith camel, but hard to tell at that distance.

I heard Bentley mentioned.

BTW, the bottom photo is looking down the throat of the Saber.

I don't think it's that difficult becoming a volunteer of a museum David, just have to have the free time.

Bill
are you still looking for roundels for the Canberra?
I have some from the Airfix kit that measure 30mm
cheers
Mike

I think I got them covered. They should be in the mail.
Your offer reflects the quality and generosity of our forum.
Thanks for that. Thanks for looking in.

No roundels yet............

News......

Joined the local IPMS yesterday afternoon at their monthly meeting. About 40 members showed. Interesting group of good people. Put out the word on the forum, none had heard of us so we may have one or two stop by for a looksee which will be nice.
They have a couple of raffles, and a dealer or two usually show up and I got some gun barrels for the Lanc!!! They have a Theme for each meeting, it was helicopters yesterday. They give a certificate for the best of the theme entries brought in for the meeting........... What the...... My SH-60H Won????????? Next month is Spitfires, I gotta couple I can take in! See photos attached of some of the display.

The Pres had me make a pitch for the museum. I asked for any Aussie marked aircraft the members might have as "overflow" that could be spared for the museum. I want to have a case for these with credit given to the builder. I had a couple express interest in doing this, so I am off and running. I'm trying to find a way I can Acquire another case for this display.

The fun just gets funner!

Attachments

• IPMS-NSW 8-2013 3.jpg
    IPMS-NSW 8-2013 3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IPMS-NSW 8-2013 2.jpg
    IPMS-NSW 8-2013 2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IPMS-NSW 8-2013 1.jpg
    IPMS-NSW 8-2013 1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IPMS-NSW 8-2013 4.jpg