Has Airfix lost it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, I've had the same with some tins, mainly the greens, but also a matt black.

I've always used Humbrol mainly as they have been the most consistently available wherever I've lived, but of late I've noticed some of the shading is not as it should be and my last couple of matt blacks have not been matt but more of a gloss. I'm now looking for a replacement range and have recently picked up a couple of Vallejo paints (yet to try) so we will see how they go.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Although I prefer enamels to acrylics, the Vallejo range are very good indeed Vic. I've only used one colour so far, but it sprayed beautifully. This was from their Model Color range, which I reckon is perhaps more value for money than their airbrush ready range, as it can easily be thinned with water for air brush use, and can be used for brush painting.
I'm still trying to find a suitable alternative to Humbrol eneamel though, and although there are some, none are available locally.
I've just checked over the Airfix 1/48th Tornado kit which arrived yesterday, and, apart from the areas already warned about, such as the two different plastics and mis-matching upper and lower fuselage halves, the windscreen is missing!
The sprue was in a sealed poly bag, with some of the other 'solid' parts sprues (half the parts are loose in the box!), and there is no sign of the 'screen. The canopy, although still on its sprue, is badly scratched, due to rubbing against the larger sprues! I've contacted Airfix (Hornby) via their web-site service, and had an automated acknowledgement this time - just have to wait and see if I get a replacement. If not, it's going to be a tricky home-made moulding job!

Although I prefer enamels to acrylics, the Vallejo range are very good indeed Vic. I've only used one colour so far, but it sprayed beautifully. This was from their Model Color range, which I reckon is perhaps more value for money than their airbrush ready range, as it can easily be thinned with water for air brush use, and can be used for brush painting.
I'm still trying to find a suitable alternative to Humbrol eneamel though, and although there are some, none are available locally.
I've just checked over the Airfix 1/48th Tornado kit which arrived yesterday, and, apart from the areas already warned about, such as the two different plastics and mis-matching upper and lower fuselage halves, the windscreen is missing!
The sprue was in a sealed poly bag, with some of the other 'solid' parts sprues (half the parts are loose in the box!), and there is no sign of the 'screen. The canopy, although still on its sprue, is badly scratched, due to rubbing against the larger sprues! I've contacted Airfix (Hornby) via their web-site service, and had an automated acknowledgement this time - just have to wait and see if I get a replacement. If not, it's going to be a tricky home-made moulding job!

If you don't get much luck T I have a spare front end screen and may also have the canopy. Let me know, it will be an easy post.

As for the F.3, I have a feeling that because the top and bottom parts do not match, the air intakes may need padding on the underside. I'll let you know when I get that far.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Thanks Vic ! I'll let you know how I get on with Airfix. I've read or seen somewhere that the intakes need some work in padding or spacing and sanding. I did a test fit of the fuselage, and it doesn't look quite as bad as your example of the kit. BUT - that was just a test fit - it's bound to be worse when it comes to the 'real thing'!!

That's great news Ian. I haven't received the screen for the Tornado yet, but it's only been three weeks - maybe it'll take that long to brush the dust off the stock at Airfix!
Vic, if they haven't got one (the kit's out of production), I'll take you up on your kind offer. I'll give it some more time first though.

GREAT to hear that, Ian!!! Really happy for ya mate!

Terry, Vic and Daniel, hope you all get the parts you're missing too. (Incredible so many kits are missing components!)

Last edited:
Not dumb at all mate. Shapewise, both are generally pretty good, the main difference is in the panel engraving, which is very heavy on Matchbox kits (like trenches in some cases!)

Note that many Matchbox kits are now sold under the Revell name (He 70, He 115, Walrus, etc), and many Heller and Airfix kits are the same mouldings (Dominie, Fw 190D-9, Spitfie Mk.I, etc)...

Agree with Evan 100%. I picked up a Matchbox Phantom in 72nd scale a few weeks back daying 1977, its pretty nice for its age. Also have Revells reboxing of the Halifax which is again really nice though as Evan said they did get a little caarried away with their panel engraving. :)

You're right in a way, and I must say I didn't notice it myself... luckily it's just a matter of 2 straight cuts at the nose join in any case, so not too difficiult to correct. (alternative noses are provided - one of the perks of many Matchbox kits).

Like I had an He-70 Matchbox kit a couple years ago, it had two different Nose Cowlings, one for I think some fighter/recon the other for a mail plane and two different props.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back