Has Airfix lost it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Know the one mate - I've got it myself! Has a radial engine for a Hungarian He 170 (known as the He 70K in Hungary), and a cowled nose for the BMW VI engined F-2 (reconnaissance) and G-1 (Lufthansa) versions.

Btw, if you like the He 70, ICM have done a new tool kit - it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! (one mould sold under 3 boxings - Condor Legion F-2, Luftwaffe F-2, and Lufthansa G-1)

Intersting second post, and welcome to the forum!
Based on the original, first post, and bearing in mind the way this thread has developed in the thirteen months since first posting, Ii don't think there have been any contradictions as such. Yes, there have been varying opinions on various aspects of Airfix over the years, but, on my part at least, I don't know of any contradixctions regarding my original statements.

I personnaly think Airfix 'lost it' many years ago. They were fine back in the 70s/80s when I was a kid and that's all there was, but haven't touched one of their aircraft kits for over a decade now.

However, since their relaunch under Hornby when they claimed to be concentrating on higher quality and authenticity, I'm watching them more closely as I've a feeling their new releases will start to match their competition (new 1:24 Mossie in mind). I think it's a case of 'watch this space' with them, and perhaps try out one or two of their new releases.

Putting aside my original 'whinge' about the delays, and then price rise of the Mossie kit, the basis of this thread, I tend to agree with you i some respects.
IF, under Hornby, the Airfix brand can be turned around, so that up-to-date kits can be released to the quality that is known to be possible (from this company), and be of consistent quality and acceptable price level, then yes, this very well could be a turning point for the better. Looking at just the 1/48th scale aircraft section, in the past Airix released some kits which were, at the time, outstanding, and reasonably priced. Of course, by today's standards, and bearing in mind the vast advances in injection moulding techniques, these kits may seem somewhat basic in some cases, but still stand up well.
From what I've seen of the Mosquito kit (with a couple of very minor exceptions), it could well be that Airfix might be geting back on track, and I truly hope they are. If the Mosquito is a portent of what might be the future for other scales, then, given that the marketing and pricing policy is sound, realistic and, above all, ongoing, then with a bit of luck, Airfix might once again be a household name, and take 'it's' place alongside the 'big boys' with pride and confidence.

Airfix Mossie is going for $300 + over here

Wonder how much they'd charge for a real one?

Start pinching the bits from NZ2328 one at a time Daniel, and you'll have your own real one for free in no time! :)
(Have you been able to work on her recently, btw?)

Again its Airfix madness ! we've seen the new Airfix Dambusters set which comes with the Vac' formed Dam ?
A lot of these Dams are arriving damaged due to the nature of thin vac' forming and kits been thrown about
in the shops and whilst in the post. I was at a 'Modelzone' shop last week and they showed me 5 kits which
have got damaged Dams. Some of the Vac' forming is wafer thin on the corners and push and crack inwards.

I was going to buy this kit just because its different, but now i'm not.

ian.

Their cheap and cheerful way of trying to attract the toy market, and capture 'new blood' to the modelling hobby. Great idea ....if it worked!

That sounds reasonable Cory, as the cheapest here is around £115. I agree, for what the kit is, it's worth it, especially when compared to the price of the excellent Tamiya 1/32nd Spit, but the principal of the delay and price increase still niggles me! One of these days I might give in though - when I find a hangar to rent!

Even though the book is only up to the late '90's, its gives you a good insight in the business of Airfix and a few others, like why Frog disappeared, to mention one thing...

DSCF0007.jpg

Hope that they'll stay out of trouble this time and sort out that (foul language) Buccaneer cockpit if re-released, its bl**dy awful!

How many of you got This message from Hannants today...

Message: Revell have just announced the kits they have discontinued. See them here and get
them while you still can. When they are gone they are gone. We cannot buy any more...
Hannants - Plastic model kits and accessories
mp;search_direction=asc&pageID=2

Is it usual to have kits removed from manufacture like this.
Am a little ignorant of this since I have only been back in the hobby for a couple of years now.

How many of you got This message from Hannants today...

Message: Revell have just announced the kits they have discontinued. See them here and get
them while you still can. When they are gone they are gone. We cannot buy any more...
Hannants - Plastic model kits and accessories
mp;search_direction=asc&pageID=2

Is it usual to have kits removed from manufacture like this.

It looks like 50% of Revell is closing down, but honestly I havn't even seen 30% of this lot in my hobby shop.
Am a little ignorant of this since I have only been back in the hobby for a couple of years now.

Yeah its normal, then 3-4 years later when everyones btchy about it being discountinued and people want some of the kits there (and Revell notice there losing money by not making them), they re-box them with new art, change maybe 1 thing and jack up the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back