Has Airfix lost it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Would it not be the equivalent Alex? Or are kits more expensive in general in Oz? I know it's been increased from £80 to £130 - some price rise!

Its the equivalent plus some generally Terry.

For example the new Ju 88 is about 26-29quid. Online in Aus I've seen it closing in on $100Aus. Our dollar is always hovering around 40-45 pence.

Things were nice when our dollar was up through our mining boom, buying up model gear was so much cheaper than it had been for a long time.

What I have found that works SUPER for paint stirring. It is the Badger paint stirrer. It uses two AA batteries. I have been so very happy with this.

I can take a very badly settled jar of paint and mix it thoroughly in less than a minute. And clean up is a snap. Just put it in the thinner for a moment and turn it on. Then shut it off and wipe it dry.

I have used it with enamels and acrylics with super success. And a great many brands of paints.

That is my tip or "spin" on this.

Bill G.

Sounds good Bill. I normally just use the butt end of an old paint brush, so that I can 'feel' the paint.
Heck Alex, those prices must hurt! Although I appreciate the economics involved, it just doesn't seem fair - but then, we have a similar thing in the UK with, say, Hasegawa kits. Not too bad I suppose for a new issue, but when a thirty-year old kit is re-issued, at 'modern' prices, it grates a bit!

Airframes, once you have tried the Badger paint stirrer, you will be retiring that old paint brush handle! You can still feel the paint that has settled on the bottom. It is takes seconds before it is all being mixed up. It is amazing.

Try it and you will be as sold as I am!

Bill G.

Thanks Bill, I might take a look, but I haven't seen one in the UK. I have, however, used a fitting on my mini-drill, with the larger-sized tins of enamel, and that worked quite well. Problem is, as my hands are now knackered with Rheumatoid Arthritis, I could end up with more paint on the ceiling than in the tin!!

I bought the Airfix 109 Emil and Spit in 1/24th scale and was seriously underwhelmed by them. I didn't mind so much because by then I had developed adequate skills to cope with the deficiencies. But, I had to scrap the wing on the Spit and make one from balsa. It was just too warped like it was ejected from the mold prior to reaching a stable temp. Both of those kits were purchased for a commissioned project otherwise I stay pretty much in 1/32 and Revell had most of the bases covered there. When I started heavily into the 1/32 Revell kits they were new on the market and I seem to remember they were less than or right at $2.00 US.

Yep, I remember when Revell first introduced the 1/32nd scale kits, in the late '60's. We modellers where stunned by the detail etc, and many are still good today, with a few exceptions, the Spit, Bf109F and P51B/C being some.
Again, the Airfix 1/24th scale Spit and Bf109E were inroduced in the late '60's/early '70's, and were stunning! I bought the 109 a couple of years back, at a VERY knock down price, expecting it to be the same high-quality I remembered from the Spit of 1969. Unfortunately, some of the parts were so poorly moulded, evidently from the original, 40 year-old moulds, that I decided to build it 'wheels up', as a belly landed example, which I'll be posting in the future. Shame, although I've seen the MkV version of the Spit, which IS nice - but costs 25 times as much as the original Mk1 did when first launched.

I feel I mus have an Airfix related rant, so apologies in advance folks... :rolleyes:

As some of you might know, I recently picked up a half price edition of the Airfix Falklands aircraft gift set - this equated to approx £2.50 per model. This said, I have been appalled by my experience so far.

I have started with the Skyhawk. This is admittedly the most basic of the kits in the box, but on fitting the fuselage halves together, I have gaps big enough to drive a bus through. The decals I have applied so far have been of poor quality, very thick, almost impossible to move once set down, despite the liberal use of both water and microsol. One of the tail flashes has also started to peel and a small part has come off. And I believe I have already mentioned the poor quality of the paints I have used so far.

I admit these are cheap kits even at full RRP. But if the Skyhawk is anything to go by, I am glad I got it for half price! I don't intend to waste much time trying to remedy the Skyhawk (after all, I intended these kits to be 'practice' material anyway), but will finish it off and move on to another one, maybe a Harrier. Hopefully, quality will improve as I go on...

Hopefully some good news guys - saw the new Airfix 2009 catalogue not long ago, and there are a number of new tool kits on the way (including a RN Sea Harrier F/A 2!).
I wouldn't expect them to be of Hasegawa or Revell quality, but something close would be nice!

Good news Evan!

I think if they lowered their prices they'd get a few more customers (Me!)

Recent comparison -Airfix Catalina $30.95 vs Academy Cat $34

Quality difference rather staggering

Airfix! lower your prices!

It's definitely their pricing policies that's the joke. OK, so their old kits are from well used moulds from forty years ago, and aren't a patch on today's kits, but if they were a lot cheaper, they'd be acceptable for what they are. But their new kits, or even those, say, 1/48th kits from 20 odd years ago, are good, and in some cases excellent, but they are still far too expensive when, for the same price, or a couple of Pounds/Dollars/Zlotys etc more, you can get a state of the art kit from other companies which is far superior.
There are many kits from Airfix which I like, knowing that they provide an accurate basis from which a good replica can be produced, allowing great latitude for scratch-building some good detail. But I'm not prepared to pay around £11 or£12 for a Bf109 for example, when I can get a superb one for £13 from Tamiya or Hasegawa.
And sorry to bring it up again, but it is what sparked off this thread, that Mosquito! We're still waiting, and they've had the audacity, the sheer front, to raise the price by SIXTY PERCENT before it's even out yet! And, after many delays, and people waiting for the TSR2, it's now sold out, and there won't be any more for 5 years! Not that it matters, I doubt Airfix will still be here in 5 years time, the way they're going.
So, hello SMER, with your more than acceptable, and quite nice, 1/48th scale kits, at an average price of £5 !!! Could you expand your very nice range please?

Sorry to put my 3 penys to that descasion but I think you forget that it is all business. How you lower prices in England with your taxis and everything comparing to China chip labour and taxis for Trumpetir models!?
Airfix is/was my model guru but Trumpetir is now. That the progres and it is always time to move on. I´m Model Bilder not a nostalgic Grand modher.
Sorry Mates for strite worlds. I licke you any way.:twisted:

I politely disagree I don't think trumpter are the model "guru" now there isn't one.If trumpters kits are manufactured in china why aren't they cheep as chips? because the guys at the top want $$$ and they mark it up all they can.Thats buisness.Simple fact is if Airfix cut thier profits abit they'd have an increase in demand which would/could lead to higher original return.due to an increase in sales (Ie me buying more!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back