Has Airfix lost it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:lol: Good stuff Mate

Half the reason I buy kits is because of the boxart(Well its a pretty big influence)

The boxart on Airfix kits these days leaves ALOT to be desired

Hi lucky yes the cranberry kits are worth buying the look to fit well although this was just a test fitting i did cos a certain other bomber turned up so the PR9 got put on the to do list ho ho but yes they have good detail and good decals and you have quite a large lump of plastic for your cash.BB

Care to share mate? 8)

G'day Lucky. I'm sure there must be better ways of accessing Airfix Box art than resorting to a kids scrapbook from the sixties? :D

Wouldn't they be on the internet? The better artist was Roy Cross...

Roy Cross Artwork

Another avenue is to look for a second-hand book called "The Octopus Colour Encyclopedia of Aircraft" from 1980. A "kids" book, but extensively illustrated by Roy Cross artwork...

One more...

Every one of the old Airfix box art, as sson as I see one.......zzziiiippp!....ack to school days and childhood memories! :oops: :lol:
Please keep 'em coming, if you don't mind that is!

Ah! Roy Cross! A brilliant aviation artist if ever there was one. And that Auster Antarctic, probably the second Airfix kit I ever built, back in about 1960, age 9+! Of course, the first one I did was the Spit IX..didn't everybody?
Even today, as basic as it is, that Auster is a nice little kit. Thinking about it now, I can still smell the paint!

At 47 years old in a few weeks, I can still remember the very first Airfix kit I had, The Westland Scout, (not my choice, it was a birthday present when I was 7 I think) and since then, I had never EVER bought anything other than Airfix. In my little world, the Airfix kit was synonymous with any make of kit, as was Sellotape to any self adhesive clear tape!

When my eldest son showed an interest in 'having a go', I thought I'd buy a couple of kits we could do together so he could get off on the right foot, (I never had that advantage, I seem to remember the Scout was more glue than plastic!).
Off I went to my local model shop and came away with Hurricane and Bf-109 Airfix kits and a bag full of Humbrol acrylics, cement, etc.
I can only say I have never been so disappointed in the quality of a kit before! Although they were probably fine as 'first try' kits, I have vowed never to buy an Airfix kit again until they sort themselves out and improve the quality 1000%
Sounds a bit sad, I know, but it fells like a little piece inside of me died :(
So, back to the model shop and chose a couple of Academy kits (they're not very well stocked in the shop these days), but oh my god, what an improvement in molding quality!

I think the 'suits' and Hornby should have a really good look at sites like this and Hyperscale and see what peoples expectations are these days.

OK, rant over, I've calmed down a lot now!

DillyDog

Welcome to the forum Dilly Dog. It's nice (though sad) to see that I'm not the only one who has similar thoughts about dear old Airfix. You're right, with some of their present policies, and the re-issue of very old kits at stupid 'current market' prices, it IS as if a part of me has died; very sad, like losing an old friend.
BTW, saw your request for the instructions for the Academy '109 kit. If it's the 1/48th '109G, I might be getting that in a week or so, and could copy the sheet(s) for you, if that would help? If I buy it depends whether or not it's got the R6 cannon Gondolas, otherwise it'll have to be the Hasegawa kit.

Welcome to the family Dilly Dog...! I agree that the Hornby and the Airfix suits need to have a look around at sites like this, Hyperscale, Modeling Madness to get a grip on reality, what people expect and want, that you can not re-re-re-re-release kits from the 60's ,70's and 80's and expecting us to pay a price that they in no way are worth. Especially when you can get a TamiGawa for a few extra quid....which are a world apart!

Hi everyone. It's my first post. I just wanted to say that I am extremely disappointed with Hornby's treatment of Airfix too... Back when I were a lad, the paper shop at the corner of our street sold Airfix and Matchbox 1/72 scale kits and I used to spend every penny I had on them... I (fairly recently) got a old Matchbox Gloster Gladiator and a modern Airfix one and built them both and was shocked just how awful the Airfix one was! The Matchbox one fitted perfectly together and had lovely decals. The Airfix one was horrible. The decals were thin and poorly printed (reversed the colours on the RAF version so it looks like the L'Armee De L'Air bought a bunch of them!) and it fitted like a bacon sandwich at a Bar Mitzvah... Another huge disappointment from Airfix is their 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant. I love the Defiant. It's my favourite aircraft and they made a complete monkey's breakfast of it, especially the wing and fuselage join where you could fit an entire squadron.

I want Airfix to survive SO much but as long as it is throwing out inferior rubbish then it's no chance... The only modern kit I have bought lately is a Valom YFM-1 Airacuda. Normally I hunt on eBay and pick up 70s and 80s Hasegawas. Just got a VERY tasty Fuji T-1A and F-105 Thud...

Welcome to the family Hotrod! I know how you feel. I was so disappointed when Airfix was going under as I thought that it would first. Then, when it was saved by Hornby I was thrilled. It was almost like watching an old friend fighting for survival and at the end coming through with a new lease of life!
Keep wondering what they're trying to accomplish with all this re-releasing old 60' to 80's kits at the prices of today more modern and better kits. It's NOT the right way of doing things if they're trying to lure more young or people as a whole to the hobby, they'll lose in the end. If they want to do that, just release the old kits at lower prices as an entry level for kids to try out their first kit, I assume that kids today still get pocket money? :lol: :lol:
On the other hand, they're probably more interested in Wii, Playstation and X-Box games and their instant whatsit, than history....
Anyway, as soon as the economical hangover after Christmas and New Year has worn off, I'd still like to try their 1/48 Canberra and hopefully their later E/E Lightning F2 and F6 was it?
Imagine if someone at Hornby and/or Airfix read this, signed up and took the time and care to explain the why's and how's with Airfix...

I think most Airfix kits (espicially the 1/72 fighters) need to be halved in price

If they did do that I think they'd really increase sales ,I'd be buying a few just for practice with the airbrush!

Thanks for the welcome, Lucky. Always good to be a member of a friendly site!! As far as re-releasing their old 60s to 80s kits, I think it's a blatant attempt by Hornby to get the older folk among us to go a buy a piece of nostalgia. Although they had a great range back then, like the Defiant, the Anson and a number of unusual types as well as the Spits, Messerschmitts and Mustangs that they knocked out! I'll be impressed when Airfix bring out a Miles Libuella or a Blackburn Roc...

Hi and welcome Hotrod! Glad (though sad) that you feel the same about Airfix. Those old kits, such as the Gladiator and Defiant, were more than acceptable in their day (the '60's), and let's face it, we knew no different then. Now, of course, the moulds must be more worn than my wallet, and it's no surprise the fit of parts isn't good. I must admit though, not having seen one recently, I can't comment fairly, and wonder if some of the complaints, although justified, are due to the EXPECTED standards set by present-day manufacturers and techniques. Whatever the reasons, it is no excuse to price them so high. As Daniel and others have said, if they were about half the price, or,say £3 for the old, small kits like the Gladiator, that would be fine. Buyers wouldn't feel cheated, and it would be possible to make a reasonable model with a little work. I always look at a kit for what can be done with it, not what it has in the way of parts and detail; if it hapens to have super duper bits and lots of fine, and accurate detail, then I consider that a bonus, IF the price is realistic of course. One only has to look at the 21st Century 'Gustav' I posted recently. Those (kits) do not pretend to be top of the range, high tech, state of the art marvels, yet they can be turned into really good replicas, for the price of a 1/72nd scale, medium sized kit!
I agree with Jan (Lucky), it would be wonderful if the suits from Hornby read some of the comments and views on these forum pages - perhaps they'd get an idea of what is really happening, and how their plans (if there are any of course) are really going down in the eyes of the buying public, and how, unless they are VERY careful, they won't have a customer base to release any new products to!
I make no apologies for returning to the issue that sparked off this thread - the episode regarding the price increase on the Mosquito. Whichever bright spark thought of that one is in the wrong job - it was either a massive miscalculation to start with, or a total f**k up somewhere along the line, or a combination of these, and smacks of incompetence, and arrogance. It's been a sure-fire way to alienate long-term, staunch supporters of a wonderful company that, having seen difficult times, fought back well, only to be ruined by the present 'guvners'.
It might be my upbringing, and subsequent training, together with experience in the 'business world' but, I always hold by 'if you say you are going to do something, then do it.' So far, Airfix, under the new 'regime', have announced at least 3 to 4 kits that have either been way behind schedule, or are still to make an appearance. Why, and how can this happen? If the 'P's' have been done correctly in the first place, it shouldn't happen, and any excuse shows poor management. BTW, the 'P's' are the 7 P's - Perfect Planning and Preparation, Prevents P!ss Poor Performance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back