Hasegawa 1/32 Fw190D-9

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay... where was I???

FINALLY ventured back into the modeling room after an unexpected hiatus. It's been five months since I've touched this build so I have to reacquaint myself with the status of this model.

IMG-3557.jpg

IMG-3558.jpg

IMG-3567.jpg

To summarize... the Aires resin cockpit is pretty much complete and the fit issues have been addressed. I think it can be inserted into the fuselage from the bottom after the fuse halves are glued together.
IMG-3559.jpg

IMG-3560.jpg

I've also completed the sculpt of the gun cowling to reduce the exaggerated bulges on the kit part. The main task in front of me is to finish the engine plug assembly, which will require the addition of lots of wiring/piping to make it look realistic. I'm just not ready for that yet.

To ease myself back into the rhythm of modeling, I've decided to do some riveting. The horizontal stabs are the smallest parts (besides the gun cowling) that requires riveting so I thought this would be a good place to start.

Using detailed line drawings of the Fw190D-9 (Kagero Top Drawings No. 3), a clear plastic ruler and a soft leaded pencil (4B), I draw the rivet lines on the horizontal stabilizers.
IMG-3561.jpg

After the lines have been drawn on one side, I use a rivet tool (RB Productions Rivet-R, 1.00mm) to put rows of holes along the drawn lines.
IMG-3562.jpg

The guide lines are removed using a paper towel damped with iso alcohol to inspect the lines. Due to the lay-off, my touch with the rivet tool was very bad at first. You can see some really wayward lines on the stabilizer in the back of the pic. :headslap: :headbang:
IMG-3563.jpg

The same rivet pattern for both sides of the stabilizer so I simply flip them over and repeat the process.
IMG-3564.jpg

The riveting process pushes up the plastic around each hole. Depending on the effect you want, you can either leave it this way or sand it down. I want to a subtle effect so I've elected to lightly sand the riveted areas to get rid of the raised plastic and just leave the holes.
IMG-3565.jpg

Stabs are "done". I'm going to look at that one side where the rivet lines are really crooked. I may have to do some repairs.
IMG-3566.jpg

Not sure my mojo is complete back but I'm going to give it a shot. Moderator... can you please move this to the Start to Finish board?

We all missed you John, it's a great pleasure to see you again on the battlefield.
It is a "taste that overflows" enjoy your work.
I hope that everything around you is flowing well and you can rejoin your usual closeness to the forum.

En buena hora, bienvenido de nuevo amigo :thumbup:

Thank you for the moving the post, Wojtek! And thank you for the welcome back, guys! No promises but I'm hoping that I'll be able to complete this project and maybe even start some new ones.

Agree with Wojtek. You and your work have been missed. I'm looking for a good riveting tool. Do you use much pressure to get the effect you just used?

The points are pretty small and sharp so only a moderately steady pressure is required for the points to penetrate the plastic. The RB tool works really well and I highly recommend them. I have the full complement of Rivet-R, Rivet-R Mini and Corner Wheels.

Here is a tidbit from June that I forgot to post here... the Revi gunsight. The gunsight is from the Aires resin set. Instead of the provided clear acetate, I used a little thicker clear plastic for the reflector glass pieces. The edges of the forward glass element was painted with clear green/blue. I sprayed the back element with Tamiya smoke to give it a tint just for kicks.

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

Glad to see you back John! Like the others I too have missed following your builds. The riveting and especially the Revi sight look superb. I am really looking forward to you plumbing the engine as that is the reason I stopped work on my Eduard 1/48 D-9. I can see where all the plumbing comes out of the firewall but can not figure out how it all connects to the engine and sub-systems. When you get to it, it would be great if you could show how it all gets connected as this is a mystery to me. I have the Squadron Signal Walk Around book and that is the only reference I have on the aircraft at this time. Can't wait to see more from your work bench!

Chad

Glad to see you back John! Like the others I too have missed following your builds. The riveting and especially the Revi sight look superb. I am really looking forward to you plumbing the engine as that is the reason I stopped work on my Eduard 1/48 D-9. I can see where all the plumbing comes out of the firewall but can not figure out how it all connects to the engine and sub-systems. When you get to it, it would be great if you could show how it all gets connected as this is a mystery to me. I have the Squadron Signal Walk Around book and that is the only reference I have on the aircraft at this time. Can't wait to see more from your work bench!

Chad

Thanks Chad! I'm almost ready to start on that engine plug. If you are looking for accuracy in this area, my work may disappoint you because I'm not going that route. I'm just gonna stuff that area with enough plumbing to make it looks semi-realistic. Probably similar to what I did with my past D-9 build...

259-J0o5-Dj7.jpg

JTK-9904.jpg

Back to the present... I decided to do some grunt work to keep the momentum going. Something not requiring too much thought... just time and effort. I'll be using the Eduard brass flaps for this build like I did for Black 1. That means some removals from the kit wings to accommodate the brass flaps.

The Eduard instructions show the necessary removals. On the upper wings, the interior flap ribbings need to be gone. The removal areas are all raised, which is relatively simple to do.
IMG-3569.jpg

I use my pair of Tamiya cutters to snip away the raised ribs. A curved x-acto blade is used to slice away the remnants.
IMG-3570.jpg

The curved blade is scraped across the trailing edge repeatedly to get rid of the raised edge. I used the same scraping technique to further remove the ribbing. Now the area is ready for sanding.
IMG-3571.jpg

For sanding, it is important to use a coarse enough grit to cut through the raised remnants and flatten the area.
IMG-3572.jpg

The top wings are finished.
IMG-3573.jpg

The removals on the bottom wing are a smaller area (see shaded area on the Eduard instructions) but take much longer to do since I have to drop a narrow area down "one level", which will essentially remove the three square recessed areas on the trailing edge of the flap openings.
IMG-3574.jpg

This took me two sessions of scraping, slicing, grinding and sanding to finish the bottom wings. By "finish" I mean prepping for the flaps. The wing surfaces still need to be riveted.
IMG-3575.jpg

Those photoetch flaps will be a big improvement.

I have read through your previous D-9 builds before, and accurate or not, it will still be a joy to watch you bring the engine plug to life.

I decided to cobble together the upper brass flaps to see how they fit into the previously modified wings.
IMG-3578.jpg

A PE bending tool is help to get uniform bends. This one is from The Small Shop.
IMG-3580.jpg

IMG-3581.jpg

Careful handling is necessary with these PE parts due to the delicate connections.
IMG-3582.jpg

CA glue is used to secure the ribs into place. After the CA glue dries, I'll clean up the excess with CA glue debonder.
IMG-3583.jpg

The port flap seems to fit ok!
IMG-3584.jpg

The other flap was assembled and dry fit onto the wings. Everything looks a-ok!
IMG-3585.jpg

At the end of this session, the clamp from my desk lamp broke. I hope the lack of a table lamp doesn't slow me down. I ordered a pair of replacements due to arrive on Tuesday so I'll have to improvise if I want to do any modeling tonight after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back