Hasegawa 1/32 P47D Republic Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My suggestion would be ,to keep doing what you think is the best way to get the needed result. I just wish i could get my builds looking 25% as good as yours. Looks absolutely fantastic.If I send you a 1/32 Hase F6F-5 will you build it for me?

Depending on what type of metallic paint you're using Vaughan, it'll probably need two or more coats to get a 'shine' to the finish. Smaller components 'shine' easily, as they'll be getting a heavier coat in the first pass. However, getting a true metallic look is always tricky with paint alone, hence my reference to my 'Bare Metal' guide earlier, showing a method of obtaining a realistic look.
Applying any form of clear coat over any metallic-paint finish will alter the appearance drastically, and emphasise the 'grain' of the metallic paint. The 'silver' paint should be smooth enough to accept decals without problems, but, when they've set, a coat of Klear/Future, brushed over the decals themselves, and only just infringing on the immediate edge surrounds, will seal the decals as normal, and prevent cracking or flaking.

My suggestion would be ,to keep doing what you think is the best way to get the needed result. I just wish i could get my builds looking 25% as good as yours. Looks absolutely fantastic.If I send you a 1/32 Hase F6F-5 will you build it for me?

Just take one thing at a time. Never look at the whole kit and think "what the ..."? Little steps.

Having said that, Vaughn, that's lookin a beaut!
It is time to test tho. Have you tried buffing? Try an another piece tho.

So what is the silver paint company you used ? I used one that a gloss black was the prep surface underneath to enhance the sheen.Then if you wanted to change tones you could paint a panel in a flat dk grey or something to obtain a suttle change in color.I am think'in this looks real Niiicce though Sir!!

And what Terry said on the decals I had one build I did not want to change the color so opted out of clearing and did not even clear the decals and about 5yrs later some decals wanted to start lifting.

Last edited:
Thank for the encouragement and advice Guys, Prem895 if you pop you F6F-5 in the post I'll get on it straight away. Javlin I think your referring to Alclad I'm using Vallejo Model Air paints.

I've just had a look at Wayne's thread on his P47D a fantastic build by the way, you need to finish it, Aaron posted some lovely shots of 'Hun Hunter XV1' and I notice how dull the aluminium finish is,so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself as regards to the finish I have achieved. I did a comparison on the drop tanks putting a coat of klear on one and it slightly improved the lustre so should be safe on the rest of the model. I finished off the canopy this morning having masked and spraying it last night followed by some Klear and a wash to enhance the rivet detail. Anyway lots still to do, will post some more progress soon.

Attachments

• jug1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 171
  • jug2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 161
  • jug3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 130703_1439.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 130703_1440.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
thats a lovely canopy Vaughan, which wash did you use ?

I have my l plates on with the likes of washes and have been trying some massively thinned vallejio burnt umber with modest results

I use Florys Dark Dirt clay wash, as it's clay based you can wash it off and start again if you don't like the results.

Looking good so far Vaughan. BTW, 'Hun Hunter', being a restored, airworthy aircraft, like most is almost certainly finished in a protective coating (and looks like it is) to simulate 'bare metal', and in this instance actually looks close to weathered alloys.

Hey, Vaughan,
Those stripes look great! Very nicely done indeed. I am looking forward to seeing the finished aircraft.
Dale

What a beaut piece of artistry you have done on this one Vaughan, that stripe masking worked very nicely and the metal finish, perfection and the canopy…………….

Thanks Andy, even though I wasn't happy with the finish I got with the Aluminium Ironically it's turned out for the better. I'm going to make a start on the decals tomorrow or should I say later today.

Hey, Vaughan,
This build is looking fabulous. I am really looking forward to seeing her wrapped up. Very very nice work and an excellent recovery. Guess we can be recovery brothers
Dale

Dale I think we can, Prem895 if you pay the postage. Still working on the decals so will post some photos soon.

Users who are viewing this thread