Hasegawa 1/72 Fw190-D9

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clausewitz

Airman
Nov 2, 2011
Turkey
This is a 1987 kit of Hasegawa which I bought at Hannants' 2nd hand section just to accompany the swastika decals, along with a 1/48 Me-109.

Fw190D9-01.jpg

Fw190D9-02.jpg

Fw190D9-03.jpg

Almost no fitting issues, almost no cockpit detail. Just a seat and a decal for the instrument panel which is bigger than the panel itself. I couldn't keep the decal in place -don't know if that's because of the age of it or the lack of my skill- so I dumped it. It won't be seen anyway, since the kit only comes with a closed canopy. I added Eduard's WWII seat belts to add a little detail, which also will be hardly noticed, if ever, but still... The box says it is an FW190D, and it comes with four MG151 s on wings so that D11 can be built, too. Since I'm planning to do a D9, I cut the outer MG s off.

Fw190D9-05.jpg

Fw190D9-05-1.jpg

Fw190D9-06.jpg

The cheap copy of the model is offered by Mastercraft as well. Unfortunately both kits aren't of the best accuracy. However with some additional work and careful painting it might be a nice model.

Looking good

Thanks for the info, Wojtek. Fortunately, the priority of a newbie like myself is not accuracy. Once again, I'll try my best to finish this as decent as I can. I'll dig into an Eduard Sopwith Camel in 1/48 along with this one, then I'll deal with a 1/48 Fw190A3 of Tamiya. I don't want to ruin that and consider this one (and the Heinz Bär already done) as exercise kits to improve my skills. Each and every critique is welcome.

You'r welcome Mate. I know about your priority and can't wait the final effect. The same kit and a few of Mastercraft ones are still waiting in my stash for assembling.

After a two month break dedicated to turntable fixing, I'm finally back to this Dora.

Started with the prepainted spinner. This time, uhu-tac worm didn't adhere well to it, so I had to do it with tamiya tape, but what I feared has come to life. Not as good as that in Heinz Bär build.

Fw190D9-08.jpg

It was too hard to cut tamiya tape in the shape of the arc of wing roots, so I used uhu-tac. They were used a few times before, hence that funny look with all those dots.

Fw190D9-09.jpg

Reichsverteidigung band had to be masked and painted, since the band decal of the profile I chose wasn't on the decal sheet. I wouldn't use it even if it were, it seems tough to line up the colors on the band.

Fw190D9-07.jpg

After protecting the RV band with tamiya tape, I painted the camouflage.

Fw190D9-13.jpg

Fw190D9-10.jpg

Fw190D9-11.jpg

Fw190D9-12.jpg

I could have been more careful. Vertical stab took its share of green while painting top sides of horizontal stabs. Have to deal with it tomorrow. Another thing to fix is the mottling of vertical stab. I messed up a spot while trying to adjust pressure.

Business boom, arrival of a second kid, this and that made this poor little kit lying on the table for months. Perfect chance to gather dust. Couldn't wash it away or wipe it away so I said "yeah, whatever" and moved on to gloss cote. Well, all the dust and particles are sealed on the plane now, good job :mad: Well, I'll put the kit into a box in case of a long pause, next time.

Fw190D9-17.jpg

Fw190D9-18.jpg

Fw190D9-19.jpg

Tonight I'll try some weathering, though it doesn't really mean much from this point on. But still...

Echo Terry there - looks alright in the pics!

Didn't mention last time, but if I remember right the wing was generic for all old tool Hassy 190s, hence the extra armament for the A-8 version.
Made the A-5, two A-8s and the D-9 in the old tool range myself many moons ago.

Right, A4K, there were two more MG s on the wings. D11 was armed with them as far I can remember, so I cut them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back