HE Vs AP - Any data?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arken

Recruit
Dec 21, 2010
Hi all. First post on here, been lurking for a while but noe I have a query...

We are all aware of various AP results for the various AT weapons of WWII, however does anyone know where or if theres any info on penetration for HE shells and rounds?.. I'm thinking of situations where by an AFV would have used all their AT and have to default to using HE or retire and restock. Surly an armoured car or the likes of the Stuart thank would be able to be knocked out by an HE shell from a tiger? Can anyone help? Some info I have found alludes to it being about a third that of an AP round fired from the same weapon, but very vague.

I'm also thinking of the penetrative power of the likes of everything from grenades through to artillery also. I appreciate that there was face hardened and homogenous armours around so any info on the effects to either of those types of armour also would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Arken

Hi all. First post on here, been lurking for a while but noe I have a query...

We are all aware of various AP results for the various AT weapons of WWII, however does anyone know where or if theres any info on penetration for HE shells and rounds?.. I'm thinking of situations where by an AFV would have used all their AT and have to default to using HE or retire and restock. Surly an armoured car or the likes of the Stuart thank would be able to be knocked out by an HE shell from a tiger? Can anyone help? Some info I have found alludes to it being about a third that of an AP round fired from the same weapon, but very vague.

I'm also thinking of the penetrative power of the likes of everything from grenades through to artillery also. I appreciate that there was face hardened and homogenous armours around so any info on the effects to either of those types of armour also would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Arken

There is very little information on the penetration performance of HE rounds themselves.

There is quite a bit of data on HEAT rounds (such as PIAT and German hollow charge shells weapons).

What little evidence exists is mostly Soviet. The Red Army used 122/152 guns as "animal tamers" "big game hunters" against Tigers, Panthers, Elephants and the like. These relied on behind armour effects from the overpressure from direct HE hits, rather than any actual penetration. There are reports of the overpressure cracking armour welds, damaging internal equipment and causing spalling/scabing off the back of armour on Tiger Is, King Tigers, Panthers and similar heavy armour.

The effects against armour depend very much on the brittleness of the armour itself. High hardness armours could often shatter or scab/spall very badly due to insufficent ductility.

I suspect the best place to ask would be Tank Net. The Russian Battlefield website has some reasonable information as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back