Hello from bombed City !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ArtField

Recruit
Sep 20, 2013
Dear aviators, this is great place! I am new here and I am here beacuse I m interested in ww2 air operations in EX Yugoslavia region, and
particularly Belgrade, as You know, the City that was bombed three times in past 70 years. In 1941 Belgrade was bombed by germans in Operation Retribution also know as Operation punishment, Unternehmen Strafgerich, by Luftflotte IV and
Fliegerkorps VIII. In 1944 Belgrade was bombed on 16 and 17 of April, on Orthodox Easter by allies, american the 15th Air Force, by B-24, and B-17 with many casualities and destroyed objects and buildings. The third bombing was in 1999, by NATO.

I m working on some project and I need to know about gas masks that U.S. ww2 air force used in their missions, if they used, especcialy by B-17 and B-24 pilots. I need that help for Wehrmacht luftwaffe too. As far as I know german pilots used variations of M38 gas masks, but I m not sure and I need confirmation.

I would be glad if You could help me about this, Thanks in advance ! I will post this part in the right topic !

Hello from another bombed city. I think you mean oxygen masks.
Off the top of my head wasn't M38 a model of cap?
Cheers
Steve

Thank You everyone for wellcome !

DerAdlerIstGelandet and Stona(Steve) thanks for response. I mean excatly about gas masks, not oxygen masks. I wonder if pilots even had the gas masks along with other parts of their equipment. Is there any evidence of that? Are they supposed to have a gas mask in case of crash?

I know about pilot mask with Oxygen, and it is standard part of fighter pilots head, but I m really curious about gas masks.

Thanks !

Last edited:
I don't know of any Air Forces, in World War 2, which issued Respirators (gas masks) to aircrew as standard equipment.
However, I do know of modern equipment, for use by air crew in the event of NBC conditions, which is integral with the normal aircraft/ejector seat systems.

I haven't heard about it too. To be honest how to put the gas mask on pilot's head when the oxygen one has already been there. Especially during a flight... ;)

Thank You people for kind welcome !

AirFrames, GrauGeist, Wurger thanks for the response. I was thinking about it and searching and I couldnt find any direct source except small one where it says that M38 with variations was used by german pilot and Luftwaffe.

I think that this one is example of what I thought it could be related with Wermacht Luftwaffe:

4KubePV.jpg

GM38

Please, see also this one: "Paratroopers gas mask bag" - " A jump-safe gasmask container that was worn by all paratroopers on jump duty. This bag can be worn on the bag and hooked to the belt, or worn on the front, the paratrooper way. "

NI0QWWN.jpg

SPR5jT9.jpg

This bag is reproduction, but it is interesting information on it. Is there any connection between pilots, paratroopers and their equipment(like this bag with gas mask) which includes gas mask?

For sure it is complicated to have 2 mask at the same time, Oxygen and Respirator(gas mask) especially during a flight, but I thought that they had gas masks with their equipment like parachute. I found great pictures with WW2 Air force pilots(mostly americans) with their full equipment but without any kind of gasmask.

DerAdlerIstGelandet please tell me if You are familiar with modern period of aircraft (Time of 1990s, and NATO aviation, I m interested in gas masks of NATO Air force from 1999). We can continue this little part on other topic, beacuse this one is for WW2.

Last edited:
I haven't heard about it too. To be honest how to put the gas mask on pilot's head when the oxygen one has already been there. Especially during a flight... ;)

Not sure about WW2, but today there are special masks. We had aviators gas masks that were designed for use with flight helmets. Of course you still had to take off your helmet to put it on. We also did not have to worry about O2, as we were low flying Helos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back