Help about Panzeblitz for Fw190's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weinace

Airman 1st Class
Jan 4, 2009
Yorkshire UK
Hi! I am a VERY new member and, after 45 years of working 'for the man', am retired and can AT LAST ressurect my interest in FW190. Can anyone help me with the Panzerblitz I Panzerblitz II and Panzerblitz III?

Some say PZI was an 88mm mortar round with a rocket attached, PZII was a R4M with a Panzerschreck warhead attached and have only heard of a PzIII. Other references say something TOTALLY different.

Thanks - weinace _ I'm trying to track down Rodeike book I've been recommended to buy - all I have is Green's Warplanes of Third Reich whioch I bought in 1970!!

The only thing I could find on it is from The Encyclopedia of Weapons of WW2 page 416:

"...two years later some FW 190s were fitted with an improved rocket variant in October 1944, the first to be fitted to these aircraft. These were Panzerschreck missles of 88mm (3.46-in) calibre, the design source being originally the infantry 'bazooka'. Each aircraft was fitted to take six of these weapons, and in December the new Panzerblitz Pb 1 missile (also 88-mm calibre) was introduced: this packed something like twice the punch of the Panzerschreck, but neither was used on any scale."

friends it is nothing stated above. the R4M came in the typical bomber killing war head or could be fitted with a Panzerschreck head for busting up Soviet Tank and MT columns of which it did remarkable work under the tuteledge of JG 7 in march/April of 45.

the Panzerblitz was an under-rack fitted rocket in case of some 6 ? under each wing fitted to the SG Fw 109F's during later 44 till wars end.
finding pics of the unit and racks is somewhat difficult, so will have to have a look see

the photo-page may or may not help but enjoy regardless .........

E ~

Attachments

• Panzerblitz1.jpg
    Panzerblitz1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 318
Thanks very much for reply. Am trying to build up a library, what was the book from which the photographs came?
regards,
weinace

The only thing I could find on it is from The Encyclopedia of Weapons of WW2 page 416:

"...two years later some FW 190s were fitted with an improved rocket variant in October 1944, the first to be fitted to these aircraft. These were Panzerschreck missles of 88mm (3.46-in) calibre, the design source being originally the infantry 'bazooka'. Each aircraft was fitted to take six of these weapons, and in December the new Panzerblitz Pb 1 missile (also 88-mm calibre) was introduced: this packed something like twice the punch of the Panzerschreck, but neither was used on any scale."

thanks very much for info!! Will keep digging:p

friends it is nothing stated above. the R4M came in the typical bomber killing war head or could be fitted with a Panzerschreck head for busting up Soviet Tank and MT columns of which it did remarkable work under the tuteledge of JG 7 in march/April of 45.

the Panzerblitz was an under-rack fitted rocket in case of some 6 ? under each wing fitted to the SG Fw 109F's during later 44 till wars end.
finding pics of the unit and racks is somewhat difficult, so will have to have a look see

the photo-page may or may not help but enjoy regardless .........

Thanks very much for reply!! Am trying to build up a library (as well as learn how to use threads!!!) what is the name of the book from which photogarphs were taken.
Regards,
weinace:p

I could be wrong no offence but i am pretty sure one panzerblitz version was a modified r4m with ground busting warhead, there is at least one picture of it give me a few days and i snagg it up.

all Panzerblitz were air to ground based the R4M with the 8.8cm Panzerschreck head was used by the jet unit JG 7 against Soviet armor and MT in 1945. two different operating systems

Thanks for continuing to help on this!!!
Regards,
weinace:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back