Help! Fubar'd my latest project!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Note that Johnson's Baby Powder is a finer grade of Talcum powder which, although it works for mixing with varnish, can sometimes be too fine. Normal, standard, Talcum powder is slightly 'heavier', and better for making the 'porridge' I mentioned earlier.

May the gods of sprue stretching smile upon you. I've debated many times what is to me overkill. Those who whittle a set of Me109 rudder pedals 'cause the ones in the kit were "wrong" then the cockpit is sealed never to be seen again or the endless debates over the "EXACT" shade of RLM paint on a eastern front 190 in 1944. IMHO like dropping a MOAB on a group if trees hiding 3 Taliban
De gustibus non est disputandum
I can empathize with that! I recently saw a video and some in progress pics of a kit with an AMAZING amount of detail internally and while my first impulse was "screw the power bill buy it" a part of me would be frustrated knowing that all that lovely detail would be hidden from view forever after the model was completed. Sigh... It is a struggle.

I've learned tons of new techniques in the relatively short period that I've been posting here. Great suggestions from skilled modelers is good way to progress. Every technique has a learning curve and I think putty-work is one of those where you just have to dive in and get a feel for the materials that you have on hand.
I could not agree more! I have learned so much in such a short time that I was honestly amazed at how much information is out there for the asking. I belong to other forums for my day job, and have to say communities like this put those to shame!

Practice makes perfect is not just a cute saying, it is the real truth! I am actively trying many of the tips I have received and seeing which ones work best for me. None of them is "wrong" or "more right" than any other so it really is a process of seeing what technique works well for each individual. But it is great to have choices!

Talc is a rock very low on the MOH scale. It is available free of perfume and color. Basically just look a talcum powder for sensitive skin.
Try Amazon
71OhvSBOP0L._SY679_.jpg

Wojtek, my only disagreement here is that the Baby Powder type of talc is perfumed and some of these Personal Hygiene Talc powders also contain corn starch (sugar).
Talc is a rock like mica whose crystalline structure is arranged in 2-D flat sheets. It is ground into powder but the grains are still very small flat sheets. To avoid the color/perfume additives look for a Talcum Powder for sensitive skin:

You are right. I've posted the image of the talcum in order to suggest where it can be bought. The variety of barnds that can be found is really impressive. Especially in the USA, I guess. The one you posted above looks fine and can be recommended certainly.

Yep. Basically, any 'standard' talcum powder will do the job, although I agree with Mike, that those without the perfume additives are possibly better. The 'Baby Powder' type are very fine, and this can lead to the mix of the 'filler' crumbling slightly when sanded if used in very small gaps.
The 'heavier' grain of powder in 'standard' talc avoids this, and also helps to make it blend into the varnish to produce a 'stronger' and more even emulsion.

Thanks for the talc definition! I know where to look now... Health/Beauty aisle not Spices/Sauces!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back