Help needed on one-off B-29 Superfortress build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
As a future build I'm looking to make the one-off manned turret version of the B-29 in 1/72 scale using the Academy kit and I need a source for the two upper as well as the two lower (ball) turrets. I'm hoping that someone knows about an aftermarket set of that would include the turret glazing, the twin 50's and some internal mechanisms so I wouldn't have to buy a bunch of kits and spares box out the remainder. The ball turrets seem pretty standard and the upper turrets are the fully glazed (Martin?) type. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

In addition does anyone have scale drawings of at least the nose (say forward of the bomb bay) of the Superfortress? Ideally showing the side, top and front for use in mocking-up the oversized forward firing cheek guns?

This could be a tough one Vic. I didn't even know there was such a machine ! Not sure about the ball turrets, but there might be a vac-form set which includes top turrets, for such types as the Marauder, A20, B17 etc - they might be useful?
Have a look at the Squadron web-site.

B-29-25-BW (42-2444) with manned turrets

Attachments

• b29-44.jpg
    b29-44.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 4,285
Great pic, thanks Vic. Didn't know of this, but looking at the turrets, I'd gues the vac-forms for the B26 or A20 would cover the top turrets, and there might be a B17 set including ball turret. The latter looks like the normal B17 ball turret.

This could be a tough one Vic. I didn't even know there was such a machine ! Not sure about the ball turrets, but there might be a vac-form set which includes top turrets, for such types as the Marauder, A20, B17 etc - they might be useful?
Have a look at the Squadron web-site.

That's a great idea (and should also resolve the canopy fit issue associated with the Academy kit) but I'm still only half way there. Does anyone know of any company that makes aftermarket 1/72 scale .50 cal. machine guns?

Nice find Vic. I too never realized there was such a beast. Thanks for the pic and looking forward to the build. What's your plans for the two cheek guns?

Yeah it's pretty unusual, but except for the cheek guns, it's a pretty straight forward conversion. I think it makes the superfort look better. Less antiseptic and more war-like if you know what I mean.

I figure if I can get scale drawings of at least the nose (say forward of the bomb bay), ideally showing the side, top and front then I can work out profiles for the side, top and front of the cheek guns and carve/lathe one out of bass wood and cast them in resin. Hopefully I don't find out in the process that they are "handed" and I can do this just once. Then putty away my friend! :lol:

Hi Vic
There are some nice close ups in Alwyn T Lloyd's "B-29 Superfortress in detail Scale"
Also shows the waist gunners positions
Cheers
Michael

Attachments

• B-29 TURRETS.jpg
    B-29 TURRETS.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3,958
  • B-29 TURRETS MULTI.jpg
    B-29 TURRETS MULTI.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,243
  • B-29 TURRETS SIDE.jpg
    B-29 TURRETS SIDE.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3,769
Last edited:
Great pics ! That first shot looks like something out of the original 'Buck Rogers' cartoons and movies !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back