Here we go again ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The timeline is wrong for them to have been "buried" in 1947...when they were actually retired from service by 1949.

But we won't let facts get in the way of a good story - when they dig all those Fw190Aa-3 up, they can fly in formation with all those crated Spitfires from Burma! :lol:

why would the turks bury the FW 190s at the end of the war with the aim of preserving them/

It is feasible I guess that they might, if they considered it possible that the Russians might turn south at the end of the war for some reason, probably to push through and gain control of the Bosphorous. Russians were already in occupation of half of Iran and not moving until 1948......Turkey had been neutral until February 1945 and had sold raw materils to the Axis for much of the war. They had allowed axis sea traffic through the dardenelles but not Russian or allied

They could have just been bull dozed under as a land fill. Simply to get rid of them. Are theyre any photos? It could be a landfill filled with the broken up 190's

I've visited TAI and the F-16 line. Was the Turkish Air Force give P-51s after the War? If so I wonder if part of the deal was destroying the 190s. Pure speculation. I'd like to see photos of what was really found. Turkey was given a lot of arms in exchange for IRBM and Surveillance Antenna bases.

The Turkish Air Force had a wide range of Allied aircraft before, during and after the war, it was only in 1943 that Germany provided the Fw190

Starting in 1939:
Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
Morane-Saulnier MS.406C1
PZL P24G
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I
1940:
Avro Anson Mk.I
Curtiss CW-22B
Curtiss CW-22R
Fairey Battle Mk.I
Henriot H-22
Westland Lysander Mk.II
1941:
Airspeed Oxford Mk.I
Miles Magister Mk.I
1942:
Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV
Consolidated B-24
Curtiss P-40C
Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIB
Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC
Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC-R
Miles Magister Mk.IA
1943:
Bristol Blenheim Mk.V
Curtiss P-40D
Focke-Wulf Fw190Aa-3
Miles Master Mk.II
1944:
Bristol Beaufort Mk.II
Martin 187 (Baltimore)
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VB
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VC
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VR
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XI
1945:
Miles Martinet

After the war, they aquired a wide range of Allied aircraft, but none were really front-line. The reason for retiring the Fw190 was quite simply because theynwere wearing out, there were no longer any new parts and aircraft technology was rendering the Fw190 obsolete. With Britain delivering 170 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX and 4 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIX in 1947 and then in 1949, the U.S. delivered 180 P-47Ds, the last few Fw190s were retired (they had been phasing them out starting in 1947).

Within two years, Turkey would have it's first jet, the T-33 followed soon after by the F-84G and CL-13 Mk.II Sabre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back