Here you go, Lanc

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trouble is with that one, is that it was parked up right next to the sea at Squires Gate. For those of you familiar with Blackpool, that's right at the end of the prom, where the trams turn round to head back to Fleetwood. Anyway, that's besides the point. Sea air, laden with corrosive salt, is just about the worst thing you can expose any kind of machinery to. It was not in good nick when I saw it, excluding the vandalism, and that was a good few years ago. So as to what parlour state it's in now I dread to think.

Too true, there so few genuine war-birds left that are in truely good nick anymore that won't cost an arm and a leg to restore as WW1 and WW2 planes were so common that most ended up getting flogged to death after their war service ended assuming they survived that long. Even some modern planes end up getting flogged to death before they get into the hands of a warbird appreciator. That Vulcan you are talking about is a prime example of this neglect of pieces of history.

Yeah, that's shitty when people do that!
And it always seems to be that today's junk is tomorrow's treasure, so you watch! In another twenty years, museums will be scrounging far and wide for Vulcans, Buccaneers, Jaguars, and god knows what, while all the while lamenting the fact that they're all gone!

Christ, people are so damned shortsighted! :confused:

Speaking of post-war Lancasters: ;)

"After WWII, the Royal Canadian Air Force found they had several Lancaster bombers surplus to requirements, so decided to give them a second life and refurbished them for either transport or maritime reconnaissance and search and rescue duties. The guns were removed and the turrets were converted for observation purposes. These aircraft also had a C-1 autopilot, radio altimeter, improved cabin heating, navigation and radio gear and a galley. The Lancaster Mk.10s were given designations according to their assigned role, 10AR (Arctic Reconnaissance), 10MP (Maritime Patrol), 10MR (Maritime Reconnaissance)."

lanc10mp46bs.jpg

lanc10mp06kd.jpg

These are of a model, but you get the idea.

lanc10mp17jc.jpg

lanc10mp5aw.jpg

lanc10mp29rp.jpg

lanc10mp30jv.jpg

Lancaster 10MP at Greenwood Aviation Museum, CFB Greenwood (formerly RCAF Greenwood), Nova Scotia.
lancaster10mp19jn.jpg

I apologise that's my bad, Buccs aren't still in service. It's Jags that are in service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back