Hillson slip wing Hawker Hurricane in 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
A while back I started a couple of Hurricane kits but rapidly got a bit bored and put them to one side while I worked on other less boring planes (sorry Hurricane fans).

I kept picking them up then they went back below the bench. Till yesterday when I saw a picture of the Hillson slip wing and had a light bulb moment I could bash the kits together to make a slip wing.

Part built hurricane with two bits of scrap plastic white tacked in place to see if I have the measurement right

Chopping the wing to the right shape

Posed

Last edited:
Great stuff.
I've seen stamp collections, model collections and kit collections, but a sprue collection ??!!
(it is useful stuff though - and free with every kit ! )

I packed the fuselage gap in top wing with bits of scrap.

Then glued in a piece of 1mm plasticard starting at the trailing edge then letting that set and moved forward gluing a few mm at a time to force the plasticard to conform to aerofoil. Bit of filler and it should be good.

Looking at the photos of the original the too wing has no aelorons or flaps and no panel details as Hill & Son were making wooden wings for Mosquitoes I reckon the top wing is wood so I will sand the wing smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread