Hillson slip wing Hawker Hurricane in 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wonder why the did not use it for convoy protection duty.

Wonder why the did not use it for convoy protection duty.

The extra wing and attachments were not stressed for anything above a normal take off and gentle flight. You can see in this image how lightweight the attachments are.

TenStories51.jpg

I suppose the aircraft might have got off a full size carrier, but would need to jettison the wing before any engagement. I suspect a RATO or catapult launch might result in a Hurricane being launched and the slip wing being left on the ship, or worse!

The extra wing and attachments were not stressed for anything above a normal take off and gentle flight. You can see in this image how lightweight the attachments are.

View attachment 584469

I suppose the aircraft might have got off a full size carrier, but would need to jettison the wing before any engagement. I suspect a RATO or catapult launch might result in a Hurricane being launched and the slip wing being left on the ship, or worse!
Point being of this is extra lift. I do not think it is impossible to make the extra wing and connection strong enough yet detachable. If the Luftwaffe can make Mistels and operate then this will not be even a challenge for the Brittish engineers.

Just spotted in the last two pictures that I have a wrinkle in the P prototype roundel. The decals were a nightmare to use I had four of the right size to play with but the first two wrinkled up like a raisin and had to be scrapped. Lucky I got the last two on but I didnt notice the wrinkle not that I could have done much about it. The worst transfers I have ever used.

Way cool! I never knew this plane existed until I saw the YouTube a couple of days ago:

Trust the British to come up with an imaginative concept to the problem of climb rate, when all those other boring engineers were just putting bigger engines on their planes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back