Hillson slip wing Hawker Hurricane in 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Getting there.
Looks like acrylic, brush - painted. If so, then a primer or undercoat will help to give 'body' to the first coat, more so over the bare white plastic 'plug', making it easier to achieve a good, solid coverage.
Nice work though, and looking forward to the next stage.

Good progress.

As a committed acrylics brush painter, i usually paint either the brown or grey first if doing an RAF cammo, then do the green over that colour after tracing the demarcation lines out with pencil.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1970060378.jpeg

whatever works for you though.

I am a commited acrylic brush painter I tried an airbrush and got some good results (and a couple of crap results) but I just dont like using it whereas using a hairy stick is a real pleasure and something I look forward to.

I usually do use Ultimate primer and then the lightest colour working up to the darkest but I had run out of primer and RAF Ocean Grey and I wanted to get some paint on straight away. I have now run out of RAF BS Dark Green as well, I checked all my bottles of paint and seem to be running short on everything so the build is on hold until I receive a box of paints from DaveColeys emporium.

I use a Faber-Castell black Goldfaber Aqua watercolour pencil to mark out camo lines as I am always worried a graphite pencil will affect the paint adhesion. The watercolour pencil leaves a nice clear mark and seems to disappear into the paint when you go over it.

On the last lap. I have had to send off for the yellow prototype P roundels I thought I had some but can't find them, now I have ordered some they will turn up.

IMG_20200606_165223633.jpg

I painted the N struts in aluminium don't know if this is correct but all I could tell from the available B/W pictures is that they were a lighter colour than the camouflage grey.

15914589960734298235259264173242.jpg

Almost finished just waiting for the P prototype roundels and some number (I have run out of the number two) decals to arrive. The tail is propped up because the tailwheel has only just been glued on.
IMG_20200607_144040594_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200607_144238815.jpg
IMG_20200607_144309904.jpg
IMG_20200607_144339366.jpg

Great stuff.
Red spinners could be found, on various RAF types, apart from in the MTO, although mainly as 'Flight' or personal colours.
One Spitfire squadron that moved from the MTO to Burma, was warned about their red spinners, and advised to re-paint them. They ignored this advice initially - until losing some aircraft to "friendly fire".

Cool. This fits right into the "What the hell were they thinking/drinking when they designed this?" category

The original idea was to get a fighter off a small runway and climb fast to bomber height then discard the slip-wing and attack the bombers. This was in the days of grass fields, fixed pitch props, 87 octane and 6psi boost of course and by the time the idea came to be a prototype fighters had concrete runways, CS props, 150 octane and 25psi boost.

With the original idea of short take off and increased climb rate out of the window the wing was to be used to increase ferry range. Some people claim the entire slip-wing would have been a big fuel tank though the weight of all that fuel so high up would have made handling interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back