History according to random people...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I need to dust this thread off in order to pay homage to an incredibly misinformed person encountered on the interwebs.

Archaeology Magazine posts great articles on Facebook and *usually* has a well informed following with great replies to their posts (unlike Smithsonian Mag, who's posts attract idiots like moths to a porch light).

The artical AM posted, was about the Olive Groves of Zita, which drove a rich economy until the vast Olive orchards were cut down by the Romans to fuel iron smelters.

Ok, so there were some good responses to the article until "J Elle Cox" showed up and gave us gems like this:
"J Elle Cox
Bruce E Tutcher Rome never existed in the west. It's a fantasy made up by the 'Slava Ukraini' fascists to give themselves history that never existed. All ancient history of civilization comes from Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the Steppe. Europe was backwater uncivilized peeps, historically, and the fascist policies they're promoting mow will put them back in the same place, imo. If you've never read the honest Roman Catholic priest/father admitting that no one ever spoke Latin or wrote it to actually communicate with people, then it's a great topic yo inform yourself about. 'Rome' is Disneyland, imo."

To get a better idea of where she's coming from, she 100% serious and even believes California belongs to Russia, because they "discovered it in 1812".
Never mind that the Spaniards were already here in California for 200 years...

By the way, here's Archaeology Magazine's article (on their website), if anyone's interested:

Nil illegitimus carborundum.

I have encountered this school of philosophy before. I don't remember all the details, except it was a Russian pushing the idea that the Slavs were God's chosen people, Russia was the center of civilization and everything we believed about history was "consentual history". In other words a made up fable to prop up the myth of Western Civilization.
I recall seing that before.

And it was (if I remember right) a Soviet era math professor who started all this idiocy.

I know quite a few Russians who are great guys. Let's not being dragged into a hate campaign.

Generalizing people is great unless its your people that are being generalized. Of course its easy to generalize everyone, and usually those doing the generalizing are throwing rocks in glass houses.

I've seen this in my own country for the last 8 years.

Last edited:
Find all Russian nationals who have visas and deport them all.

Better yet, let's put them in internment camps like we did the Japanese!
ql7lZWg.gif

No don't put anyone in [Internment] Concentration camps.

I was being sarcastic, but if we're going to draw a conclusion from, and hopefully to, this sidebar, I'd prefer it be formulated Don't practice collective guilt, or judge people solely by their ethnic background. Just me.

I know where you are coming from. I wanted to give you an "agree" in the same sarcastic vein but we know not all would get it.

I'm glad you took it as it was intended, I was a little worried it might be misconstrued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back