Hobbycraft 1/48 P-40F/L Checkertail

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It seems that the lacquer thinner hasn't been proper for the Humbrol enamel. Do you have the Humbrol thinner for Humbrol enamels? But it might be too late. Judging by your words it is of a pudding consistency what means that the enamel "curdled". I think you should buy another can of it or just use other paints.

You're probably right Wojtek though the paint has gotten just slightly better after the thinner. Gonna let it set, stir, add some more thinner if needed. 2 hour drive to P.G. tomorrow to buy another tin if this doesn't work.

Geo

I see. But it might be really not worth of your work on it. I have had a few of Humbrols looked similar to that one. But the reaction to the Humbrol thinner was immediate. In my opinion the enamel is soiled and there is nothing what can be done.

Maybe somebody of your neighbours is going to P.G. tomorrow.

Off to P.G. it is then. Let's see...50$ in gas and my paycheque in the wife's account at midnight for a 4$ tin of paint. Totally worth it!

Geo

Oh...50$ in gas... so you might use a bicycle then. :lol:

I have an idea.... stir the enamel for some time. Then remove the "snot" using a small sieve with a clean piece of stocking or fabric in it , shedding the enamel to another can.

I've been having that problem with some Humbrol paints (not that they're made by Humbrol these days, heaven knows where it's made!).
I find the only way to solve the problem is continuous stirring, and then use some, decanted into a pallette. Once used, and stirred again, it almost works as it should, although still poor quality, and tends to 'go off' in the tin quickly.
If lacquer thinners has been added, then this could cause pigment and carrier separation when used. Enamel thinners, or a cheaper alternative, white spirit (basically the same thing) should be used.
I contacted Hornby Products well over a year ago, informing them of the variable, and overall poor quality of the paints, noting that this has only happened since the demise of the Humbrol factory - no reply yet received!
I have some original, 'ewal' Humbrol paints which are 30 years old, and still work perfectly.

I just looked at your tin of gluten......

When I was sign painting using enamels I used enamel thinner with it, like turps. I only used lacquer thinner to encourage a quick set. If I was painting a cold surface in cold weather I would add only a couple of drops to 3oz. of thinned paint to keep it from running down the glass or wall. I don't ever recall using straight lacqour thinner with enamel.

Can't really even guess what to do now. Perhaps take that lump out of the tin, then in another add turps to it? Just thinking outside the box.

Bill

Thanks guys. On my way to P.G. in minutes. Going to stop at the hobby store and inform them of the paint problem. I'm sure they will let me open every tin of red until I find a good(?) one. As for me adding lacquer thinner to enamel paint, sorry for the misunderstanding, I call every bad smelling thinner lacquer thinner. Back in town in 8 hours.

Geo

I've been using lacquer thinner for years at the recommendation of my LHS owner and have had no issues. The only thing about it is that it does dissolve cured paint (also an advantage at times) so it does not make a good thinner for enamel washes.

Not too much to show. Final paint on, touch ups tonight, gloss coat tomorrow.
003.jpg

Geo

Thanks Glenn. Did some weathering on the fuel tank and struts but I'm not sure if it's right. The articles I've read, just mention that the aircraft was paint back. If this was a temporary paint I'm sure the weathering and chipping would be quite prevalent and the camo colors would show through. That's the route I took but if anyone has any thoughts on this before I put the gloss coat on it would be greatly appreciated.(Still getting used to the new camera and depth of field, hence the two photos)
005.JPG

007.jpg

On a ǝʇou ǝpıs, if found an interesting ǝʇıs qǝʍ. ヅ

oǝƃ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back