Hollywood stars of yester-year

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
In contrast to the ideals, opinions and feelings of today's "Hollywonk" the real actors of yester-year loved the United States. They had both class and integrity. With the advent of World War II many of our actors went to fight rather than stand and rant against this country we all love.

They gave up their wealth, position and fame to
become service men women, many as simple "enlisted men".

This page lists but a few, but from this group
of only 18 men came over 70 medals in honor of
their valor, spanning from Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Distinguish Service Cross', Purple Hearts and one Congressional Medal of Honor.

So remember; while the "Entertainers of 2005-2007" have been in all of the news media lately I would like to remind the people of what the entertainers of 1943 were doing, (61 years ago).

Most of these brave men have since passed on.

"Real Hollywood Heroes"

Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on D-Day.

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S. Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was an R. A. F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and
Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart Entered the Army Air Force as a private and worked his way to the rank of Colonel. During World War II, Stewart served as a bomber pilot, his service record crediting him with leading more than 20 missions over Germany, and taking part in hundreds of air strikes during his tour of duty.
Stewart earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, France's Croix de Guerre,and 7 Battle Stars during World War II. In peace time, Stewart continued to be an active member of the Air Force as a reservist, reaching the rank of Brigadier General before retiring in the late 1950's.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out)
Although he was beyond the draft age at the time the
U.S. entered WW II, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the AAF on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended the Officers' Candidate School at Miami Beach, Fla. and graduated as a second lieutenant on Oct. 28, 1942. He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943 he was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook where flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s. Capt. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over-age for combat.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Ernest Borgnine was a U. S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U. S. Army Ranger at Normandy earning a Silver Star and awarded the Purple Heart.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps, more specifically on B-29's in the 20th Air Force out of Guam, Tinian, and Saipan.

George C. Scott was a decorated U. S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze
Star for his heroic action as a U. S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov. 1943.

Brian Keith served as a US. Marine rear gunner in
several actions against the Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a U.S. Marine on Saipan during the
Marianas campaign when he was wounded earning the Purple Heart.

John Russell: In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps where he received a battlefield commission and was wounded and highly decorated for valor at Guadalcanal

Robert Ryan was a U. S. Marine who served with the O. S. S. in Yugoslavia.
Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the U.S. Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little 5'5" tall 110 pound guy from Texas who played cowboy parts: Most Decorated serviceman of WWII and earned: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with "V", 2 Purple Hearts, U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Southern France) World War II Victory Medal Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of Liberated France, Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

So how do you feel the real heroes of the silver screen acted when compared to the hollywonks today who spew out anti-American drivel as they bite the hand that feeds them? Can you imagine these stars of yester-year saying they hate our flag, making anti-war speeches, marching in anti-American parades?

Way to go, Audie Murphy!

Parts of James Stewart's anatomy were also ferrous in nature!

I understand that Mr Gable's situation was carefully stage managed Pour encourager les autres on the Home Front.

Richard Todd (Guy Gibson in the Film The Dambusters) also played Major Howard in 'The Longest Day' in the scene of taking Pegasus Bridge: good casting, as he actually participated in that very action.

I heard that Germany wanted to present Audie Murphy with a medal but
the US refused to let him accept it. He was quite a man....

Charles

That would be quite an honor, which medal did they want to give him?

That's been so long ago, I don't remember. I'll check in his book and see
if it says anything about it.

BTW, the female stars did their part, too with War Bond sales and the
Stage Door Canteen. My step father wrote that he danced with Linda
Darnell, back in the 40's.

Charles

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S. Army on D-Day.
James Doohan was a captain in the Royal Canadian Artillery, and landed at Juno Beach with the 3rd Canadian Division.

Leslie Nielsen was an air gunner in the RCAF.

Incidentally, Lorne Greene got his start as a radio correspondent with CBC during the war. Dubbed "The Voice of Doom".

How many of todays younger generation Hollywood stars has served and seen combat?

Lucky,

I'm no defender of the left wing Hollywood loons, but percentage wise, very few of ANY generation or group have served since WW II, let alone the Hollywood nuts, and even less have seen combat.

TO

I personally think it's a case of "how much money will it cost me to join
the military for four years and serve my country ?"

Plus.... NO BALLS !!

Charles

Then, of course, there were the guys who were "unfit" to serve. Frank
Sinatra had a ear problem, Van Johnson (who was a closet queen) had a
knee injury from football, and several others who were 4-F.

Hey...TO... Wasn't Gene Autry a fighter pilot ??? And Ed McMahon (sp)
flew P-51's.....

Charles

There was that one football player that joined the army, Pat Tillman I think was his name. This guy was making millions in the NFL but decided to serve his country. He ended up getting killed, big controversy about that. But that's the only modern quasi-celebrity I can think of going into the service.

Then, of course, there were the guys who were "unfit" to serve. Frank
Sinatra had a ear problem, Van Johnson (who was a closet queen) had a
knee injury from football, and several others who were 4-F.

Hey...TO... Wasn't Gene Autry a fighter pilot ??? And Ed McMahon (sp)
flew P-51's.....

Charles

Charles,

Think Ed McMahon was a Marine fighter pilot during WWII. Also served in Korea (85 missions).

Gene Autry served as a flight officer from 1942-46 with the Air Transport Command. Flew the C-109, a fuel hauling version of the B-24, among other aircraft. Not a fighter pilot though.

TO

How about the British actor Desmond Young who portrayed himself in "The Desert Fox".

and who can forget (although its beyond WWII)...

A talented character actor known for his military roles, R. Lee Ermey was in the US Marine Corps for 11 years. He rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant, and later was bestowed the honorary rank of Gunnery Sergeant by the Marine Corps, after he serviced 14 months in Vietnam and then later did 2 tours in Okinawa, Japan. After injuries forced him to retire from the Corps, he moved to the Phillipines, enrolling in the University of Manila, where he studied Criminology and Drama. He appeared in several Filipino films before being cast as a helicopter pilot in Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now (1979). Due to his Vietnam experiences, Coppola also utilized him as a technical adviser. He got a featured role in Sidney J. Furie's The Boys in Company C (1978), playing a drill instructor. Ermey worked with Furie again in Purple Hearts (1984). However, his most famous (or infamous) role came as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987), for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe. He did win the best supporting actor award from The Boston Society of Film Critics. Since then he has appeared in numerous character roles in such films as Leaving Las Vegas (1995), Se7en (1995) and Dead Man Walking (1995). Ermey, however, prefers comedy to drama, and has a comedic role in Saving Silverman (2001). Ronald Lee Ermey continues to be one of the best character actors in the business, and you can bet that when his name appears in a movie's credits, he is going to be top notch in his role.

check out.........

Actors in WWII

Ted Knight....AKA Ted Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. One of the funniest dudes on earth. Remember him in Caddy Shack???

Anyway, He was born Tadeus Wladyslaw Konopka in Terryville, Connecticut on December 7, 1923. He served in World War II, and legend has it that he was the second most decorated WWII veteran.

I am pretty sure he was a gunner on a B-17 with many missions. What a man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back