Homemade modeling: Tools, accessories and ingenuity. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
I hope to be in the correct section.

Thinking exclusively about the photos I want to share, I also decided to open this topic, where we could all contribute, comment and share good ideas (made at home) that may be applicable for someone else.

Surely it can be several viable options to taka advantage of objects that would surely stop in the trash, but that can be usable for our benefit and utility in our beloved pastime.
We cooperate a bit with the recycling of materials and feed our ingenuity and creativity.

REINFORCED RUBBER BANDS.-
1.- What originated the discovery:
My dear wife lent me her rubber gloves to wash the windows of the living room and dining room ... I struggled enough to put them on me (definitely my hands are bigger than hers) ... when I finished wearing them, broke and shed a thumb piece in a circle, leaving them useless and "thankfully" she only said: throw them in de trash away! o_O

IMG_20180131_130739.jpg

2.- Situation that could solve:
The conventional rubber bands, tend to lose their elasticity with the use, besides that they do not have enough resistance for some "moorings of greater strength" or they simply break when they exceed a little the tension.
3.- Solution:
With scissors I cut several strips of different thicknesses (fine 2 mm, medium 5 mm and width 15 mm approximately, there are no official measurements) the different "fingers", the palm of the hand and part of the forearm, have different sizes; what allows to have a great variety. The good material of these gloves, makes that my "new rubber bands" can stretch a lot and offer me more resistance and durability.

IMG_20180131_133844.jpg
IMG_20180131_133954.jpg

4.- Advantages:
Without cost!

I hope it is to your liking and in these four simple clauses, we can share interesting things. Doubts and questions are always welcome.

Does anyone else have any ideas that you have to shared? :arrow::idea:

Saludos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos
SANCER

I reckon Mike that some of the store bought rubber bands are to strong in some situations. I reckon the rubber gloves idea could apply pressure more gently, and/or more evenly.

I haven't got any pictures, but Ive made a holding jig out of a mix of balsa and sprue, and sanding blocks also out of balsa. Ive found both to be very useful.

Toothpicks for glue applicators is another improvised tool I use. I also use those dental "piksters" to clean the venture tube in my airbrush

I do have one question though Sancer. You've obviously cut up the right glove, but why are you still wearing the left glove?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use thick and thin in many different lengths. Thin long bands can be looped and crossed 2,3,4,.., times to increase decrease pressure. To remove I just cut them. I used about +40 or so to hold that Condor together

I haven't got any pictures, but Ive made a holding jig out of a mix of balsa and sprue, and sanding blocks also out of balsa. Ive found both to be very useful.
Gracias parsifal, In an opportunity that you have, it would be interesting a photograph of that holding jig out of a mix of balsa and sprue, to have a clearer idea of your accessory.

I do have one question though Sancer. You've obviously cut up the right glove, but why are you still wearing the left glove?
I cut the glove on the right hand and the forearm on the left. Only with that, I think I got enough pieces.
And I managed to make the left hand can enter more easily and I could use it to hold any piece (while doing the delicate work with my right hand), ... and I'll have it as a reserve too , when it requires more rubber bands. :-\"

I use thick and thin in many different lengths. Thin long bands can be looped and crossed 2,3,4,.., times to increase decrease pressure. To remove I just cut them. I used about +40 or so to hold that Condor together
Gracias Mike, I´m agree. I also have several sizes and thicknesses of commercial rubber bands, and I still use them. :thumbright:
I even have bands for the hair of the girls (we use them to comb the La Mona - our dog Shitsu -) and they are also very useful in very small moorings. But I have noticed that with the passage of time all them lose resistance after having used them. We will see how these new ones behave. :-k

I thank all you very much for the interest and your comments. Other ideas will be emerging (preferably with a reference photograph), and we will continue to enrich useful comments and proposals for the benefit of all.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back