Horton 229 restoration (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

9929h.jpg

Looks like a model diorama huh?

The center section of the Horten Ho 229 V3 is prepared for preservation work at the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar.

Image Number: WEB14654-2015
Credit: Image by Allan Janus, National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution

The windscreen looks GREAT!

Wonder what they knew abut plexigalss in 1945 that we don't know now? Or is that a new windscreen as I suspect?

I'd be cleaning that aluminum skin pretty quickly though ... looks like it REALLY needs it.

We know where your heart is, Vick, and most of us feel the same.

Some of my posts tend to get interpreted exactly opposite from what I was trying to say. I tend to look at things with a little humor and thath sometimes gets interpreted as sarcasm or disrespect. As an engieering manager I tried to have a sense of humor, too, and that also sometimes got misinterpreted as a lack of serious commitment ... but my projects certainly never showed that upon completion.

We know where your heart is, Vick, and most of us feel the same.

Some of my posts tend to get interpreted exactly opposite from what I was trying to say. I tend to look at things with a little humor and thath sometimes gets interpreted as sarcasm or disrespect. As an engieering manager I tried to have a sense of humor, too, and that also sometimes got misinterpreted as a lack of serious commitment ... but my projects certainly never showed that upon completion.

Wait so that before was sarcasm?:shock:

Hi Juan,

Maybe. It was probably due to poor toilet training as a child.

What I meant to say was that probably nobody thought Vick was bashing the museum ... it was just the way things were done at the time.

I would recommend a visit to their website. If you dig deep enough into the restoration facility part, under pictures you will see the amazing work they are doing to this artifact. The white parts in the picture above are part of that effort. It's all quite ingenious and scientific. I recommend a look if you have some time. Very impressive and visually amazing.

https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/horten-ho-229-v3/

Last edited:
Since it is wood, they'll probably have to make new parts if they want it to look right. We had to do that to get our Northrop N9M-B Wing restored and flying again.

The real concern, IF they go that way, is to get it apart with minimum damage so the parts can be used as patterns. If they do not elect to go that way, they could probably sand it to the point where it would take a decent finish. But ... and here's the kicker, any old glue is likely to have eaten into the wood and may need new parts just to retain even enough strength to hold up its own weight.

Would be fun to work on if I had the chance. I'd know what I'd do if the decision were mine, but it isn't and I guess we'll see what they decide in the future as it happens. In any event, I'm glad it's getting addressed. They have a pretty good track record with projects being finished and looking good.

Hey Adler, thanks for the DO 335 pic. Looking forward to more. OK, your tootsie pop supply has been released from bonded quarantine. I'll even throw in some Gene Simmons black and white fright makeup and a pair of platform soles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back