Hospital plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

alwayslost

Recruit
Apr 9, 2007
Hi. I'm translating a novel for one of my classes and I don't know (pretty much) anything about aircraft. The thing is, the action takes place in Russia during WWII and in a part of the book, the characters get away in a "hospital plane". (Literal translation, I don't think that's even a real term.)

Now, all I know about the plane is that it has three engines, it's German and is for some reason referred to as a "hospital plane". Granted, this is a work of fiction and such a plane might not even have existed, but if it does, could someone help me out? In any case, what would a airplane carrying wounded soldiers be called?

Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Would most likely of just been called a hospital plane. By the sounds of things it is a Ju-52
ju52-02.jpg

(Source on right click).

Most transport aircraft were also used to evacuate wounded. Three-engined German transport...most likely candidate is the Ju-52. I can't vouche for the authenticity of this, but the Franklin Mint did a hospital ship model:

LUFTWAFFE JU-52

Yeap the only thing that I can think of is a Junkers Ju-52. They were used as evacuation aircraft and air ambulances among other things. Another possibility but I highly doubt it, is Dornier Do-24 Sea plane but then it would have to be near nakes or the ocean to be the aircraft you are looking for. The Do-24 was used as an ambulance aircraft as well.

More than likely what you are looking for is a Junkers Ju-52 however like the one below.

Attachments

• 2_25_b2.jpg
    2_25_b2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 235
In the caption of "DerAdlerIstGelandet" (Ju 52 WL-KLQ) there is a big mistake.
"WL" does not stand for "Wehrmacht Lufthansa" (there was no such!) but for Wehrmacht Luftwaffe. This is not a confiscated or impressed a/c, but a regularly registerded operated by the Luftwaffe. WL is the first military register, replaced the german "D-" as for country prefix and was introduced in 1935, until is change to the first four letter code with out and prefix in July 1939. If it were a civilian registered a/c and just operated by the Luftwaffe, it would have a callsign where the "D" is replaced by "WL". A medevac Ju 52 of the Sanitätsflugbereitschaften (overall white with red crosses and a civil / governemental HK in a red band, similar to the SAR He 59s until 1941) would use a regular civil registration á la D-Axxx.

Another mistake is the register is incomplete. It should be WL+AKLQ or WL-A+KLQ.

Now, all I know about the plane is that it has three engines, it's German and is for some reason referred to as a "hospital plane". Granted, this is a work of fiction and such a plane might not even have existed, but if it does, could someone help me out? In any case, what would a airplane carrying wounded soldiers be called?
The english term for that is -as said earlier- "Medevac" or medical evacuation a/c. In german it's "Ambulanzflugzeug" or "Sanitätsflugzeug". For the modern German Luftwaffe there is also the terms "Fliegendes Krankenhaus" (Flying Hospital) or "Fliegendes OP" (Flying Surgery).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back