How do you pronounce Beaufighter? (1 Viewer)

How do you pronounce Beaufighter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They probably just didn't think of it. You know the Brits. I mean, really, who would name a bomber a "Bolingbroke?" Or a "Wellesley?" And surely they could have come up with better names than "Skua," "Fulmar," or "Albemarle." And naming their bombers after cities was just weird. Whenever I hear of one of those British cities, out of the aviation context, I immediately think of the corresponding bomber that went with it. Now what if we had named our bombers "Houston" "Los Angeles" "Philadelphia" or "Chicago?"

"Achtung, Heinz, ich sehen einen staffel dem Schikagaoen!"

"Schikagoen, Dieterich?"

"Nein, sie sind nicht Schikagoen, sie sind San Diegoen!"

Well the British did name their A-20's "Bostons"

I don't think Kittyhawk (even before the British "Tomahawk" and "Mohawk" -P-36- Curtiss had Hawk as a name for a long line of fighters), Buffalo, or Hudson would count for the cities though, and remember they named the P-38 the Lightning as well. (Lockheed had "Atalanta" in mind Atalanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And the Buffalo and Lightning names are quite well suited IMO.

But what I find more interesting is that the British a/c designations were all names only, no numbers or letters for types which pretty much every other country were using.

Well the British did name their A-20's "Bostons"

The British had names for all aircraft, a practice that the US picked up on later.

My point exactly. We didn't do it. I think we can also thank them for Dakota, Baltimore, Maryland, Buffalo, Bermuda, and Hudson.

And Liberator...

We are very grateful that the USA was as good at making aircraft but poor at naming them, instead of the other way 'round.

Did you ever wonder why the USA did not win the war with Apache Atalanta aircraft? :D :D

I don't think Kittyhawk (even before the British "Tomahawk" and "Mohawk" -P-36- Curtiss had Hawk as a name for a long line of fighters), Buffalo, or Hudson would count for the cities though, and remember they named the P-38 the Lightning as well. (Lockheed had "Atalanta" in mind Atalanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And the Buffalo and Lightning names are quite well suited IMO.

But what I find more interesting is that the British a/c designations were all names only, no numbers or letters for types which pretty much every other country were using.

Mark 1, Mark V, Mark IX etc? Those are numbers. :) Also, the MkIX Spitfire was a Type 361. Numbers are confusing and easy to forget, names, if well chosen, stick with you. The system of giving a type a name, and specific models within the type numbers, is a good one.
The Soviets had names for their fighters, of designers or compilations of designers initials, supplemented by model numbers. That seemed to work pretty well for them.

Oreo? Will we be having a poll for the silliest name for a WWII plane?

Don't you Yanks also have the Brits to thank for Lightning, Mustang?

They did a whole lot better with the RAF fighters, those I have no complaints. The RN fighters were mainly fish or birds (I guess) what's a Martlet, anyway? Firefly, ok. Fulmar??????? Skua????

think most British naval aircraft were named after seabirds, Fulmars and skuas are both( the birds i mean)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back