How do you pronounce Beaufighter? (1 Viewer)

How do you pronounce Beaufighter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is one other way to pronounce it

Bee-you-fighter

as in Beautiful. Yes?

I think that's just a coloquialist version of Byoo-fighter. The fact is, not everyone says bee-you-tiful. Some just say Byoo-tiful. Splitting hairs, here, we are!:lol:

As I stated up above, Beau is Bow is in archery bow... I choose Other because the listings didnt look right to me....

Bo fit er is sounded out to me as Bofitter... To correctly list it I would have done this:

Bo fie ter

OK, OK, sorry! "Bow-fie-ter"

How do you pronounce Beaufort???
"By the power invested in me, I hereby......"

Didn't mean to confuse with all those ways to say it, but like Dan, I wasn't sure about the choices at the beginning. I've always pronounced it like "bow".

Well, since they had a bow-fighter, why didn't they have a sword-fighter, too?

They probably just didn't think of it. You know the Brits. I mean, really, who would name a bomber a "Bolingbroke?" Or a "Wellesley?" And surely they could have come up with better names than "Skua," "Fulmar," or "Albemarle." And naming their bombers after cities was just weird. Whenever I hear of one of those British cities, out of the aviation context, I immediately think of the corresponding bomber that went with it. Now what if we had named our bombers "Houston" "Los Angeles" "Philadelphia" or "Chicago?"

"Achtung, Heinz, ich sehen einen staffel dem Schikagaoen!"

"Schikagoen, Dieterich?"

"Nein, sie sind nicht Schikagoen, sie sind San Diegoen!"

I had a chat with Dallas Schultz a few years ago, a canadian who flew both Beaufighters and Mosquitos in WWII, and he pronounced it Bow-fighter.

Here's a tougher one for non-German speakers, how do you pronounce Jagdgeshwader? And no, "dishwaher" ain't even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back