How good (or bad) was the P-38, really?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some issues -

You lose a generator, you lose power to the electrical system, the engines receive their ignition power through magnetos and will keep running (as long as you have fuel) despite the status of the generator, so there has to be more to the story
I believe there was more to it like you say, if memory serves the electric props were giving issue, I'll try to track down the story, I do remember ignition was not an issue as you say but I don't think it was a fuel problem either.

I believe there was more to it like you say, if memory serves the electric props were giving issue, I'll try to track down the story, I do remember ignition was not an issue as you say but I don't think it was a fuel problem either.
Now if the electric props lose power they will go into low pitch (IIRC) and remain there, not the most economical way to fly in both speed and fuel consumption.

One thing I never seem to see addressed is the generator on the P-38, much is made of the two engine reliability but if you lost the engine that had the generator...

I remember reading a P-38 pilot's story over New Guinea where that happened, his tale of baling out and meeting friendly and many unfriendly natives was quite a story.

He was cursing both Lockheed and the AAF for not putting generators on both engines, so which model (if any) finally got two generators?
P-38J-15 (second block IIRC), along with improved fuel management and improved cockpit ergonomics.

Now if the electric props lose power they will go into low pitch (IIRC) and remain there, not the most economical way to fly in both speed and fuel consumption.
I think S/R described all the things that had to be done before the battery drained, like feathering props etc.

I think S/R described all the things that had to be done before the battery drained, like feathering props etc.
Well you don't feather the props if your engines are still running, as stated, the Mags will provide ignition spark. I don't have a P-38 flight manual in front of me right now but I'm almost certain that if you lost electrical power the props would automatically go into low pitch

Well you don't feather the props if your engines are still running, as stated, the Mags will provide ignition spark. I don't have a P-38 flight manual in front of me right now but I'm almost certain that if you lost electrical power the props would automatically go into low pitch
I thought the discussion was about losing one engine, the one that produces electrical power?

I thought the discussion was about losing one engine, the one that produces electrical power?
Yes, if you lost your left engine (early P-38s) you would lose electrical power, so yes, feather that engine, but the right engine would go into low pitch when all the power drains from the battery.

If both engines were running ok but the generator fails (which did happen) then both props go into low pitch when there is no electrical power. I got to my manual and it says under emergency procedures that there is a "fixed pitch" setting (propeller selector switch), betting dollars to donuts that would be low pitch.

The key would be not to use battery power until absolutely necessary

Yes, if you lost your left engine (early P-38s) you would lose electrical power, so yes, feather that engine, but the right engine would go into low pitch when all the power drains from the battery.

If both engines were running ok but the generator fails (which did happen) then both props go into low pitch when there is no electrical power. I got to my manual and it says under emergency procedures that there is a "fixed pitch" setting (propeller selector switch), betting dollars to donuts that would be low pitch.

The key would be not to use battery power until absolutely necessary
Just did a search on S/Rs posts. There were a lot of systems that relied on electricity, like aux fuel pumps, oil cooling as well as the obvious like lights and radio, a real challenge to conserve battery life especially at night.

Just did a search on S/Rs posts. There were a lot of systems that relied on electricity, like aux fuel pumps, oil cooling as well as the obvious like lights and radio, a real challenge to conserve battery life especially at night.
It is a challenge -

But you don't need any of that to maintain basic flight. The key is to get to a place to land as soon as possible and at that time use your battery and use only what's necessary. Believe it or not little has changed for electrical power failures in recip aircraft since WW2.

I've had an electrical failure in a small aircraft. When I saw my ammeter discharging I turned off all electrical power until I make it back to my home airport, luckily I was in class G airspace and didn't need to talk on the radio until I was close to home.

One thing I never seem to see addressed is the generator on the P-38, much is made of the two engine reliability but if you lost the engine that had the generator...
Some issues -

You lose a generator, you lose power to the electrical system, the engines receive their ignition power through magnetos and will keep running (as long as you have fuel) despite the status of the generator, so there has to be more to the story
Your magnetos will keep your plugs sparking, but you'll lose control of your props. They will freeze at whatever pitch they're in at the moment, and you'll be flying a fixed pitch airplane, so be ready to switch to a different set of throttle reflexes. (Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to be flying one of the models equipped with hydromatic props!)
Your propulsive efficiency will suffer badly, and you won't be able to achieve full power without overspeeding your engines, or, depending on what airspeed and power setting you were at when your props froze, you may not be able to achieve redline RPM at all, seriously limiting your available horsepower and probably overtorquing your engines.
If you're engaged in combat and have dropped your tanks, you better disengage immediately, head for home, and check your survival equipment, because you'll probably be swimming. Your MPG with fixed pitch props will suffer badly. Add to that, no radios, no electronic navigation (RDF), no armament firing or dropping circuits, and you're in for more fun than a barrel of monkees!
WHAT IDIOT specified that setup?? I did several training flights in a 150 HP Apache with one generator on the right engine and one hydraulic pump on the left. Either engine out in IMC with a sharp, proficient pilot was a barely survivable situation; with your average complacent pilot, a recipe for disaster. The manual hydraulic pump required repeatedly bending forward and turning your head, both lethal moves when flying on the gages. Vertigo city! I never ever worked up a sweat in the air like I did in that Pigache.

Last edited:
Your magnetos will keep your plugs sparking, but you'll lose control of your props. They will freeze at whatever pitch they're in at the moment, and you'll be flying a fixed pitch airplane, so be ready to switch to a different set of throttle reflexes. (Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to be flying one of the models equipped with hydromatic props!)
Your propulsive efficiency will suffer badly, and you won't be able to achieve full power without overspeeding your engines, or, depending on what airspeed and power setting you were at when your props froze, you may not be able to achieve redline RPM at all, seriously limiting your available horsepower and probably overtorquing your engines.
If you're engaged in combat and have dropped your tanks, you better disengage immediately, head for home, and check your survival equipment, because you'll probably be swimming. Your MPG with fixed pitch props will suffer badly. Add to that, no radios, no electronic navigation (RDF), no armament firing or dropping circuits, and you're in for more fun than a barrel of monkees!
WHAT IDIOT specified that setup?? I did several training flights in a 150 HP Apache with one generator on the right engine and one hydraulic pump on the left. Either engine out in IMC with a sharp, proficient pilot was a barely survivable situation; with your average complacent pilot, a recipe for disaster. I never ever worked up a sweat in the air like I did in that Pigache.
Great info Wes but depending what type of propeller system will determine what pitch setting the prop will go into when power is lost (if we a talking an electric prop). I'm pretty certain on the P-38, the prop will go into low pitch.

150 HP Apache! LOL! I was offered "cheap" multi engine instruction in one many years ago, I declined!

Great info Wes but depending what type of propeller system will determine what pitch setting the prop will go into when power is lost (if we a talking an electric prop). I'm pretty certain on the P-38, the prop will go into low pitch.
Guess I need to do some more research. What I was taught in A&P school was that the prop's gearing between drive motor and pitch change ring had so much mechanical advantage that aerodynamic and centrifugal loads couldn't budge the motor from its frozen position. My instructor was an 8th AF mechanic in War II, and the odd mix of planes his outfit maintained included a couple marks of PR Lightnings, and he said they would freeze at whatever pitch they were at. Also pilots focused on combat or escaping pursuit would often not notice a generator failure until their props start misbehaving and the radios go dead. By then it's a bit late. I saw no reason to doubt his word.

Last edited:
Bullseye! I can't find the story at the moment but that's the issue, he couldn't control his electric props and was unable to keep his Lightning airborne.

Guess I need to do some more research. What I was taught in A&P school was that the prop's gearing between drive motor and pitch change ring had so much mechanical advantage that aerodynamic and centrifugal loads couldn't budge the motor from its frozen position. My instructor was an 8th AF mechanic in War II, and the odd mix of planes his outfit maintained included a couple marks of PR Lightnings, and he said they would freeze at whatever pitch they were at. Also pilots focused on combat or escaping pursuit would often not notice a generator failure until their props start misbehaving and the radios go dead. By then it's a bit late. I saw no reason to doubt his word.
Agree but again I know it depends on the prop set up. Some hydromatic props with counterweights will definitely go "flat" with pressure loss I think most found on larger multi engine aircraft will lock in place. My A&P school was about 90% WW2 vets, one guy was a B-25 driver who flew in the SWP. The school I went to was located right across the street from LAX and IIRC was an actual AAF training center run by North American which was right down the street.

Whats left of my old A&P school today - we used to have about 4 or 5 test cells in the rear of the building.

1629226164181.png

1629226242673.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back