How good was Japanese aviation?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very neat profiles of A6Ms:

The upper is the first prototipe equipped with 2 blade propeller.

a6msidep1s7bb.png

Well, as I told you we would look at the combat record:

Okay.

Between 16 February and 15 August 1945, F6F results in aerial combat against the Ki-84 were: 109 shot down, 14 probables, and 21 damaged. F6F losses to Ki-84 were 12.

Between 26 February and 15 August 1945, F4U results in aerial combat against the Ki-84 were: 21 shot down, 2 probables, and 4 damaged. F4U losses to Ki-84 were 4.

Rich

"Japanese were (are) simply copy cats; their technology were simply derived largely from others (German) and with little mdification" That's not true! For example, A6M - Zero fighter was made from something special, name "ESD" - EXTRA SUPER DURAL - a material unic in the world. It was a special Duraluminium, with special molecular configuration - it was something very easy and that confer for Zero fighter extra maneovrability!

The Nakajima Ki 84 was the best fighter in ww2. That fighter use special gasolin because that fighter have a special engine. It was the best!!!

The japanese pilots are the best pilots in ww2.

I dont think that to many people will agree with you on some of your points.

As for the copy cat thing I do agree with you, that distinction goes to the Russians. However even that Duraluminium did not help the Zero and it still got beat.

I do not agree the Ki-84 was the best aircraft of WW2. Not when compared to the Spit, P-47, and Fw-190. The Ki-84 never reached its full potential do to a lack of construction materials and poor production quality. Performance wise it was not the greatest either compared to the Spit, P-47, and Fw-190 either except for its range.

Crew: one, pilot
Length: 9.93 m (32 ft 7 in)
Wingspan: 11.23 m (36 ft 10 in)
Height: 3.38 m (11 ft 1 in)
Wing area: 21 m² (226 ft²)
Empty: 2,665 kg (5,864 lb)
Loaded: 3,616 kg (7,955 lb)
Maximum takeoff: 3,898 kg (8,576 lb)
Powerplant: 1x Nakajima Ha-45-21 18-cylinder radial, 1,485 kW (1,990 hp)

Performance
Maximum speed: 627 km/h (392 mph)
Range: 2,155 km (1,347 miles)
Service ceiling: 10,500 m (34,450 ft)
Rate of climb: 833 m/min (2,734 ft/min)
Wing loading: 172 kg/m² (35 lb/ft²)
Power/Mass: 0.41 kW/kg (0.25 hp/lb)

Armament
2x 12.7 mm Type 1 machine guns in fuselage
2x 20 mm Ho-5 cannon in wings
2x 250 kg (551 lb) bombs

Production
Total production: 3,514 examples
3,288 by Nakajima
94 by Mansyu

Japan had some great pilots too however I would not call them the best pilots of WW2. I do not see any distinction that can compare them to the aces of Germany, The US, and England.

exept perhaps in terms of ferocity, they were defending their homeland and honour, they were defending a huge mility tradition as well as their homes and families......

The pilots were good, there's no doubt about that but their main advantage was the Western ignorance of their culture and design. Had the Western world taken the Japanese seriously from the start, they would have never achieved anything near what they did.

The Japanese air forces also lacked tactical thinking, they were too close to the samurai code. They fought as individuals expecting to fight against individuals.

Agreed with the points both you made. The Japanese releid to much on code and tradition and they let that get in there way, however they were good pilots that is true.

It should also be remembered that the Japs were not compared against the best available. In timeline re introduction into service the Zero was most similar to the FW190. Good as the Zero is, if I had the choice of going to war in a Zero or a 190 it would be the 190 every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back