How much does the everyday stuff cost at your place?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
A spin off from the ongoing thread in the Aviation sub-forum: I wonder how much meat, bread, corn flakes, fruit vegetables, milk etc. cost at places you live? How much is electricity and both running bottled water?

Rather then individual prices its the total 'cost of living' that concerns me.
Pay rates are stagnant, the Pound buys less, imported goods cost more and so on.
I would say that year on year I'm worse off...

Some prices here, in euros:
-bread: from 0.7 to 1.3 a loaf (cca 0.7 kg)
-milk: 0.8 a liter
-meat: 4 to 10 a kg
-apples, oranges, bananas: from 0.7 to 1.3 a kg
-electricity: 0.15 per kWh, the expensive 'tarrife'

Here's a few prices from Northern California (real north, not the dang Bay area)...

Gas: $4.20 per gallon (regular unleaded)
Beef Roast: $3.99 per pound (boneless, no horse added)
Pork Lion Chops: $3.49 per pound (prime center cut)
Milk: $5.49 a gallon (grade A, not that nasty 2% or lowfat stuff)
Strawberries: $2.99 per pound
Apples: $1.99 per pound (Red Delicious)
Potatoes: 99¢ (cents) per pound (Russet)
Bread: $4.29 a loaf (this is a little higher than average because I like the good stuff...)
Electricity: 13¢ (cents) per Kilowatt Hour (average monthly bill for me is about $45.00 dollars)

You flippin pay $5.49/gal for milk?! That's criminal. On sale I can get it as cheap as $1/gal. A 10lb sack of potatoes runs about $0.20/lb. I suggest you move out of that liberal cesspool as quick as you can pack your car.

You flippin pay $5.49/gal for milk?! That's criminal. On sale I can get it as cheap as $1/gal. A 10lb sack of potatoes runs about $0.20/lb. I suggest you move out of that liberal cesspool as quick as you can pack your car.

Don't mention petrol diesel prices Matt....

If have a really crappy old car a fill up will exceed the value of the car...

Yeah, sometimes I hate to admit that I am a native Californian...the liberal idiocy that has been a plague of locusts on the prosparity of this state has driven us from the world's 6th economic power into a 3rd world sh!thole...the tradeoff is that I live in an area of astounding beauty sparce population and work at a great place...if it wasn't for either, I'd be out of here faster than a hobo on a hot biscuit...

California cost of living is a joke. Why in the blue hell would anyone live there in that liberal s**t state? Then again, stay there and leave us Texans alone. LOL.

I hear ya' Thor...

By the way, on behalf of all native Californians, I officially apologize for our idiot governor "Moonbeam" Brown and his stupid attempt at an insult to Texas when he said "with temps of 110, why would anyone want to live there?"

110 degrees is not unusual here in Redding and over 1/3 of our state can reach that easily during summer...but that's just an example of how little Sacramento really knows about the state they rule over...

* And Readie, we have both the VW Rabbit and Golf here in the states :lol: *

Just a sampling of things...

Gas: $3.79 per gallon (Premium Unleaded)

Porterhouse Steak: $10.99 per pound

Rib Eye Steak: $11.99 per pound

Whole Chicken: .75 cents a pound

Milk: $3.33 a gallon

Crab Legs, Shrimp, Fish, other seafood: based off of market price, but pretty affordable.

Apples: $1.81 per pound (unless I go this special Apple Farm, they are more expensive, but amazing)

Potatoes: $4.29 per 5lb bag (really depends, I have seen them as low as 0.98 cents per pound)

Bread: $2.99 to $6.00 a loaf (depending on what I am getting)

Eggs: $1.99 a dozen

Cheese: $8.00 to $20.00 (depending on the amount and what kind. I don't like that nasty processed slices ****, and there is so
much more to Cheese than what my fellow Americans think cheese is. No Mozzarella is not supposed to be a solid block of cheese, and Swiss Cheese is not real Swiss Cheese!)

Electricity: I will have to check my bill to see what I pay per KW. It really varies, what season. Right now my bill is higher because of the winter. Summer can be high to because you can't live with the AC. My bill really is not very high though. Certainly not compared to what I was paying in Germany per month.

Overall the cost of living is not too bad here.

Last edited:
In the main, the cost of everything in the UK is related to fuel prices, which are taxed at between 65% and 80%, depending on tax or duty. With the average price of unleaded petrol at £6.40 per Imperial Gallon (approx $9.60 US), and more for Diesel, it means transport costs more, so all items cost more as a result. Take away the various taxes and Duty, and the price of petrol would be nearer what it should be, at around £1.50 per Imp Gal. But then our 'leaders' wouldn't be able to afford to subsidise their bar in the House of Commons......

By the way, on behalf of all native Californians, I officially apologize for our idiot governor "Moonbeam" Brown and his stupid attempt at an insult to Texas when he said "with temps of 110, why would anyone want to live there?"

110 degrees is not unusual here in Redding and over 1/3 of our state can reach that easily during summer...but that's just an example of how little Sacramento really knows about the state they rule over

I find it hillarious when people here in Arizona tell me, "I bet your not used to this heat here in the desert." I tell them, "If you would come to Texas in August, you would freaking melt. You have no clue how hot and HUMID it is there."

You know you would think that here in the bountiful pacific northwest that seafood would be dirt cheap. Not so. Frigging expensive.

An Adler, regarding cheese (my favorite food group) there has been a huge push lately from the Europeans to retake cheese names/monikers e.g, Edam, Muenster, and one of favorites Manchego). It appears that the cheese producers are taking the same tact as the wine producers by claiming location, climate and production are unique and others should not use the name. Thus cheese are undergoing a curious labeling change as of about the last 6 months or so.

Curious how the potatoes are expensive in the US?
The new crop potatoes cost here from 0.8 - 1.3 euro/kg when they 'arrive' (twice a year for domestic ones, we have new crop potatoes from Cyprus and Egypt for better part of the year). The 'mature' potatoes are kinda 0.20 - 0.30 €/kg.

Fresh fish costs from 3 to 10 €/kg at fish markets along the coast. Sure enough, you can buy fancy stuff for 15 €/kg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back