Hunt on for 101-year-old war veteran's 5ft robber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
101-YEAR-OLD war veteran robbed in his own home said last night he would have knocked out his attacker if he was a few years younger.

Kazimierz Michalski, who survived a spell in the Russian Gulags and fought in the Second War, was befriended by a man posing as a builder at Blackfriars Priory, in St Giles, Oxford, on Sunday during a Polish Mass.

The 5ft-tall robber claimed he could fix Mr Michalski's leaky roof. But once inside the pensioner's North Oxford home, he lunged forward and took Mr Michalski's wallet from his jacket.

Mr Michalski grabbed him and the pair wrestled at the top of a flight of stairs. The robber broke free and ran off with the wallet, which contained £400.

Mr Michalski said: "He saw my jacket was open and reached in and took the wallet.

"I struggled with him. I shouted 'stop' and 'give back my wallet', but he defended himself.

"I let go and I was waiting for him to give me back my wallet.

"But he took advantage of that to run very quickly down the stairs. I couldn't chase after him because I am 101.

"I am not as quick and decisive these days, but I was much stronger physically than him.

"I used to be a boxer and I wish I was few years younger and quicker, then things would have been very different. I would have massacred his face.

"But he was physically much weaker than me. I am angry."

Mr Michalski was saving the money to send to an organisation helping students in Poland gain university scholarships.

Polish-born Mr Michalski met the man at the entrance to Blackfriars Priory at about 11.25am on Sunday.

The man was described by police as very short, in his mid-30s, white and spoke with an Irish or Scottish accent.

Mr Michalski said they caught a bus from George Street to Somerfield supermarket, in Banbury Road, then walked to his home.

Police have CCTV footage from Blackfriars Priory and from the buses.

Det Chief Insp Colin Paine, of Oxford Priority Crime, said: "This is an appalling and inexcusable attack by an unscrupulous offender who has preyed on a vulnerable elderly man.

"It is unlikely the offender is a prolific robber. More likely he is increasingly desperate for cash.

"He was cowardly and spineless and very fortunate we haven't ended up with serious injuries."

Father Krzysztof Pajak, who held Sunday's Mass at Blackfriars Priory, said: "I am shocked and appalled that something like this could happen."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back