I am repairing the Kelly Gang Halifax for a friend.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've begun hacking away. I found the nacelle under the wing had been all broken up over the years and puddles of glue, looks and acts like the old Le Pages paper glue, had filled everything. Landing gear legs were all misshapen and out of place, as well as being broken! So having the new kit parts I have chosen to take the bottom parts off so I can install all new landing gear. Some of the old nacelle is pretty well stuck, so I'll have to do some heavy excavating to get it off. But in the end it will look brand spankin new. Bill

Attachments

• KG 1 engine nacels.jpg
    KG 1 engine nacels.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 116
Well that worked out rather well. A bit of nipping, grinding, filing and sanding, and Bob's your uncle. So now I the KG can have new wheels and sit like it should. Next I have to do surgery on the tail. Since everything is all broken up on the socket for the horizontal stab, it's needed. This will allow me to replace the whole of the rear turret as well. Going to use the existing elevators, but the vertical stab and rudders will have to be changed.

Attachments

• KG 2a wheels.jpg
    KG 2a wheels.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 108
  • KG 2b tail.jpg
    KG 2b tail.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 108
I have discovered he painted red over the code letters. So I have taken them and the roundels off the sides. Painted the nacelles and gear, props, and fitted them. One wing fell off, you can see the wad of glue that held it on. The new tail section is fitted and I am painting the tail pieces. Unless I find another way I am scraping the old flat black square by square. It chips off pretty easy, but it's a pain. It's coming along tho.

Attachments

• KG3 wng fell off.JPG
    KG3 wng fell off.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 75
  • KG3 tail.JPG
    KG3 tail.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 75
  • KG3 scraping.JPG
    KG3 scraping.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 69
  • KG3 scraping2.JPG
    KG3 scraping2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 77
  • KG3 gear.JPG
    KG3 gear.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 83
The surgeon has come and gone. In hindsight, I shoulda used a rivet line. But, what's did is did! I used pieces of sprue to locate the tail piece, the join is pretty close. Just a clean-up and try and match the colours and paint.

Attachments

• KG4a tail.jpg
    KG4a tail.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 101
  • KG4b tail.jpg
    KG4b tail.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 91
  • KG4c tail.jpg
    KG4c tail.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 86
Have a question....... does anyone know of 1/72nd RAF bomber crew figures ANYwhere?????? And a 1/72nd crew transport vehicle??? I am wanting to do some extra, dioramish. Rather than have the crew INside, would like them standing outside the aircraft if possible. Or, if inside, a typical crew transport truck outside the airplane somewhat the type Peter's dad would have been in.

So, I have been doing a few things to this as well as the GB. I have just dry-fit most of the plane together. Starting to look rather smart again. I Mr Filler filled the seam at the rear and it turned out ok. The top end of the back needs paint and camo matching. I am pleased with the so far results. Thanks for following the re-build.

Attachments

• KG5 dry fits.jpg
    KG5 dry fits.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 85
What a difference from the pictures in the first post Bill! You've done an excellent jog of saving that old model!

Airfix has a RAF figure set. The figures are made of a very soft bendable plastic that paint doesn't adhere to very good, but it sticks good enough if you aren't going to be handling them much after you paint them. I don't know if it's still in production, but I know I've seen it on eBay for around $5

Attachments

• !B1P++fwCWk~$(KGrHqV,!hsE)qBUUSPBBMdsZr(!V!~~_12.jpg
    !B1P++fwCWk~$(KGrHqV,!hsE)qBUUSPBBMdsZr(!V!~~_12.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 83
T Bolt, I have seen this one from Airfix. I am trying to find something with the flight crew.

So my quest goes on. But like I said, I will go with the figures inside the plane if I must.

I would still like to find a truck to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back