I appreciate the German planes of WW2 but...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
They lack any curves. The stabilizers all look like giant popsicle sticks and it looks like a guy designed all the planes with just a ruler. I don't hate them, I like that they obviously have a look of their own, but man the more you build scale models of them the more you notice how straight stick like they are.

I agree to a certain point but for some reason the stabilizers annoy me. I definitely agree that they do have a sinister look. It's like they knew they were the bad guys.

The 109 is so much better looking then the 190. the landing gear of the 190 looks kind of goofy, but the landing gear of the 109 flows better. I like how they angle out.

Last edited:
Lol. Now we are really getting into the personal opinions as to what looks good. Which is perfectly fine. Just funny. I find the P-51 very angular looking. Now it's true if there's one plane that is not angular, it's the Spitfire. Of course having a radial engine brings a certain curved look to a plane. B-17's, B-26, B-29, and G4M all have a circular or nearly circular cross-section. The Fw 190 and Bf 109F/G/K have a fair degree of curviness. Especially "der boile" or however you say that, the bumps over the MG-131's. The Bf 109's have curved rudders. The He 111 has a lot of curves. And I like the looks of the Fw 190 better than the Bf 109. However I like the looks of the Bf 109K better than the rest, due to the revised cowling, clear canopy, bigger tail, and retractable tailwheel. The Bf 109E and earlier I find particularly ugly. I think the Ta 152H looks like some kind of shark (with wings), but I appreciate its looks because I know what its capabilities are. It is a bit angular, except for the nose. I like angular just fine. But maybe someone has already made a WWII's most beautiful a/c thread. . . .

In short, yeah many Luftwaffe birds were 'straighter' than many Allied types, though there were exceptions.
Look for example at the beautiful elliptical wing of the Spitfire, and then those of the He 70 the company had purchased previously.... and at how large an influence captured Luftwaffe types had on post war US and Russian designs.

Look at the HE-111, an elliptical wing and with the fully glazed nose certainly quite curvy.

I must admit there is something about the later glazed noses that a lot of German types used that I quite like.

[SC] Arachnicus;918964 said:
They lack any curves. The stabilizers all look like giant popsicle sticks and it looks like a guy designed all the planes with just a ruler. I don't hate them, I like that they obviously have a look of their own, but man the more you build scale models of them the more you notice how straight stick like they are.

Here ya go, chew on this :lol:

300px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1980-117-01%2C_Aufkl%C3%A4rungsflugzeug_Blohm_-_Vo%C3%9F_BV_141.jpg

That lowers production cost. It's the same reason late war German armored vehicles largely eliminated curved metal pieces.

hmmmmmm always thought the FW 190A appeared as an armored knight while the 109 had a feminine beauty. what about the 262 Schwalbe curves, I'd say so especially in person .............. been all over 2 of them.

hmmmmmm always thought the FW 190A appeared as an armored knight while the 109 had a feminine beauty. what about the 262 Schwalbe curves, I'd say so especially in person .............. been all over 2 of them.

I agree. I find the 109 later versions sexy as hell.

The 262 is pretty curvy and pretty as well. Seen several of them upclose as well, and even seen one in formation flight with a 109. Now that was sexy!

Edit: Damn we are plane nerds and aviationophiles when we start using plane and sexy together. :lol:

I agree. I find the 109 later versions sexy as hell.

The 262 is pretty curvy and pretty as well. Seen several of them upclose as well, and even seen one in formation flight with a 109. Now that was sexy!

Edit: Damn we are plane nerds and aviationophiles when we start using plane and sexy together. :lol:

I always had a fondness for the bubble canopy P 47D. Guess that makes me a chubby-chaser...

To me perhaps the most beautiful WW2 aircraft is the Mitsubishi J2M3! That is nothing but curves!

Still LOL. Isn't it great that we each have different tastes? I really love the curvy looks of the P-39. also like planes that are carefully put together of distinctive looking parts that go well together, such as the B-25, TBF, P-38, and He 219. I like my bombers with a nice turret on top. Hate to see multi-engined bombers without a dorsal turret, or at least that nice-looking curved winscreen like on a He 111 dorsal position. Don't like seeing the Whitley, Wellington, Halifax, Stirling, etc. without their cover. Def prefer the British Hudson over the A-28 / A-29, since US Hudson's didn't get to have a turret. Hate to see museum B-17's, B-25's, etc. missing their DT. Love to see the guns sticking out all over, but without the DT it just doesn't look right. Naturally I love the Ju 290. Ugly plane, but they added lots of turrets and cannons to make up for it.

Angular planes? Anybody ever look at the A-26? Other than the round engines and landing gear wheels (and turrets and gun barrels) she's all straight lines and angles.

There's one rather well traveled picture of a Ta-152 on a compass rose getting the compass swung, sitting level with it's tailwheel on a pedestal.

Anyone who's seen the picture knows of what I speak. (I'm too lazy tonight to find a copy of it to post.)

I've always really liked that picture.

With the long wings, and long slender fuselage, the plane exhibits, IMHO, a deadly elegance.

I've always wanted to make a model of one on a base with that setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back