I wanted to know more about the DC 3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

solo

Airman
May 12, 2008
Thailand
One day I a plane on T.V.Suddenly my dad say "Oh! it's a DC 3. Very good aircraft."I have never see a real Douglas DC-3 before.

Did anyone have very good informations about it?

One day I a plane on T.V.Suddenly my dad say "Oh! it's a DC 3. Very good aircraft."I have never see a real Douglas DC-3 before.

Did anyone have very good informations about it?

Friend,

There is a lot of information about the DC-3 / C-47 Douglas Transport Family on line and there are many good books written about it. Search around on line and you'll find a large number of photos and information about this fabulous airplane, which is considered one of the most important aircraft designs in aviation history.

Look at my avatar-photo; that is a Douglas C-47B I am standing in front of. I am a qualified crew chief on this airplane. For more photos of this airplane go to The Great Lakes Wing Sponsors the Douglas C-47 . This C-47B belongs to the Great Lakes Wing of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), a non-profit aviation heritage organization that operates 140 restored WWII airplanes. The CAF flies these airplanes to airshows in the United States for the public to enjoy and learn about aviation history. I am a CAF member and have flown on the C-47 / DC-3 many times.

Please avail yourself to the numerous on-line and published works concerning the Douglas DC-3 / C-47 Transport family. Do not hestitate to contact me and I'll be happy to answer your questions concerning this historic airplane.

Tony Mireles
Calumet City, Illinois, USA

Good Luck.

It goes beyond a "very good aircraft", IMO. It was designed in the 1930s and was in military service for a long time, from WWII through Vietnam in US service. The Israelis decommissioned their last "Dakota" in 2000! You will find DC-3s all over the world, still hauling cargo and people to their destinations as well as several C-47 military examples in museums and with organizations like the CAF.

Here is a DC-3 in United colors next to a C-47 from the CAF Inland Empire Wing at Camarillo in August of 2008.

DSC_2525.jpg

Sawaddee khrab Solo, Depending where you are in Thailand there are plenty of opportunities to see a DC3/C47.

In Krung Thep (Bangkok) The RTAF still has DC3s at the Don Muang air base and there are two examples on display nearby (one without engines) at the RTAF Museum on the opposite side of Don Muang to the terminal, at the top of Thanon Pahonyothin (opposite the Kantarat Convention Hall).

If you are near Nonthaburi there is a DC3 in an unusual location on staging on the banks of mae nam Chao Phraya at the north side of Kho Khret.

There will be others in Thailand, I have seen one at Chiang Mai a few times.

Attachments

• 0770.JPG
    0770.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 0774.JPG
    0774.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 2445.JPG
    2445.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 2763.JPG
    2763.JPG