id a japanese cockpit need help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First response from number one son who has some limited facility with Japanese kanji

"The middle pic with the red and bluegreen thing has an "in" and "out" kanji next to the buttons. I will have spouse translate the rest when she gets back."

So, landing gear or bomb bay door indicator?

I am assuming what he took for 'buttons' are actually indicator lights.

Last edited:
From my son's spouse:

"In the first picture, the pictures in the middle and on the left have kanji for "connected/not connected" in the red and black parts. Red being connected. On the far right in the lower part are kanji for bright and dark in the red and black" (Lights?).

"The big black switch with the three kanji at the top have power/voltage on the left, electric current on the right, and the middle is off."

There is no aircraft identification experience there, just translation of the kanji and probably literal bsent aviation-centric meaning. Also seems like there should be more than what's listed above, based on the number of dials and kanji in the photos so it may be only a partial translation.

Last edited:
I have Monogram Publications book 'Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1939-45' but have not been able to find this one. First picture is for sure a part of the electric system and is placed often at the right side of the plane.

oldcrowcv63 thank yo for taking the trouble

Those letters on the box show that is an electric circuit controller for the outer illumination of aircraft, Pitot tube and pilot's flight suit heater.
In my impression, that came from an army bomber as the device and letters look bigger for a fighter.

Latest report from Japan.

"the bottom dials are beacon on the bottom, and compass above it. The "speedometer" (??? I doubt it is a speedometer) is using a kanji no longer in use. The dictionary had nothing like it. Something to do with power, scale, and dog !!! believe it or not.

Shinpachi, my daughter-in-law, innocent of any aviation knowledge, provided that and prior information, can you confirm or make an clearer her translation? By the way, they are near Osaka (living in or near Nara). My son teaches at an Osaka school.

Last edited:
Hello, oldcrowcv63.
What a good place your son and his wife are living on the way to Nara!
The area is a very traditional place with many old temples since the 8th century.

You may post your daughter-in-law's translation here so that I shall check.
Tell them my best wishes!

Hello, oldcrowcv63.
What a good place your son and his wife are living on the way to Nara!
The area is a very traditional place with many old temples since the 8th century.

You may post your daughter-in-law's translation here so that I shall check.
Tell them my best wishes!

Hi Shinpachi,

What you see in my posts above is all she was able to interpret. I anjoyed my visit to the Nara region in 2008 very much. It was indeed very pretty and I especially enjoyed visiting the great buddhist temple there and feeding the bowing deer. However, when I ran out of crackers to feed the deer but continued to bow the deer became very irritated with me and chased me out of the park. I plan to visit my son, his wife and her family again in early August.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsojaZdXtVk

Last edited:
It was a good experience with the deers, oldcrowcv63:)

Here is my translation for your references.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back