Identify this structure

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I know what it is........ lets see if you know what it is.

I will give you folks some time to figure it out, and then I will post the story of its significance.

Clue #1..... Its in the Pacific

Attachments

• what is it.JPG
    what is it.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 141
Ok, its in the Central Pacific and the structure is made of concrete.

And the answer is germane to this web site and of interest to most of you.

And that is a bomb crater next to the structure.

Clue - look at the scale at the bottom left and compare it to the bomb crater.

Ok, some more information.

1) It is in the Marshall Islands

2) It has to do with explosions of the largest kind

3) It is a concrete dome shaped structure

I initially thout it was from another test. It looks like it was from Ivy King, the largest non-hydrogen explosion. It was 500 kilotons. Still looking, but Ivy King was 2000 feet north of Runit, so that is most likely it.

evangilder said:
I initially thout it was from another test. It looks like it was from Ivy King, the largest non-hydrogen explosion. It was 500 kilotons. Still looking, but Ivy King was 2000 feet north of Runit, so that is most likely it.

I dont believe it was Ivy King. 2000 ft away is far from the island.

It may be LaCrosse after all. I was looking into that one earlier and just read this:
Test: Lacrosse
Time: 18:25 4 May 1956 (GMT)
06:25 5 May 1956 (local)
Location: Platform on reef off Runit (Yvonne) Island, Enewetak Atoll
Test Height and Type: 8 feet above platform, 17 feet above reef, surface burst
Yield: 40 kt

LASL test of an externally initiated boosted primary in a thermonuclear system mockup for the TX-39 (a redesign of the Mk-15). The overall device was 34.5 inches in diameter and 100 inches long, weight was 8386 lb., the primary system was 583 lb. Predicted yield was 25-50 kt. This primary was similar to the all oralloy device safety tested in Project 56 #1. This primary was used in the Redwing Apache thermonuclear shot, and was similar to the device later fired in Plumbbob Priscilla.

Crater dimensions were 400 feet wide, 55 feet deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back