Idiot's Guide to Forums

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

njaco, question, i'm not trying to be a smartass here but you are a mod yet your questions are the same basic questions i would have asked and i'm a new guy here.
So mods, how does one get to me a mod?

no problem, i was invited to become SF but it was a long hard road and i came with intimate knowledge of the yards and had been adopted by two tribes so:

Again, no attempt at being a wise guy, but, how much knowledge of the site is required? and who does the inviting and what are the criteria. and where to the administrators come from?

Well, Mike, if you look at the date of those posts those were back when I was a noob on here. Now some may say I'm still a noob, but it was because of intelligent, fascinating, thought-provoking, incredible questions such as these that got me to these lofty heights.

:big6:

Njaco, i saw that your post was 2007 but your statement in that post was was "only been on forums a few months" yet you were already a mod?
so what are the criteria and who decides

No, I wasn't a Mod until last year. When I became one, my avatar an siggy, etc. changed so that what you see now is not what was when posted.

If you ever change your siggy, go back and check your old posts. You will see that they change and will have your new siggy - not the old one. Posts reflect the current status of the user, not what was.

Njaco, thank you, that makes much more sense to me now.
now if you please, who decides and what are the criteria. is there a "smoke-filled" mod back room?

There is a general discusion among the Admins and High Level Mods as to the need of replacing or adding another person for managing the site. No set number but as the need arises. Myself and Gnomey were the last 2 to be given the status last year.

Njaco, thank you, that makes much more sense to me now.
now if you please, who decides and what are the criteria. is there a "smoke-filled" mod back room?

1. We Mods do have a "smoke-filled" Mod room in the back. We keep it stocked with fine whiskey and cigars and sit in there and talk about you guys all the time. Some pretty good laughs...:lol:

2. When a need for a new moderator arises, we moderators sit back and discuss who we all feel would make the best choice to fill said position.

3. After discussing it we then all vote on said "candidates".

4. There are no specific criteria. Each and ever mod has a different level of experience or knowledge on how to run a forum or on the subject of this forum (WW2 aircraft). It all comes down to who we think is the best suited for the job. We do like those that are motivated, get along well with others (but also have no problem enforcing the rules of the forum). We then invite them to be a moderator.

Kind of like a country club...;)

Last edited:
Eagle, to you also many thanks for the information. i had surmised some of that with the post about Flyboy being your tech guy, for instance. i had noticed the names in red but had no idea what that meant til now.
the mod room sounds pretty neat, single malt i would assume and cuban of course rolled on the naked thighs of cuban woman.
seriously though, i had read a post about banning someone who had violated a rule. i can see that you could prevent his log on but could he/she just go to a different computer different IP and log on with a new ID? seems tough to enforce

Yea, well, i ass-u-me-d you guys were of a higher order of being.
seriously, though SF was quite different, at least when i was in. there was more emphasis on who could get the job done regardless of rank. a 1-0 could be a sargent and a 1-1 a leut. most of the time we did not wear uniforms and the showing of rank was an invitation to be shot by a sniper. if you didn't already know my rank you really didn't need to know. and how were you going to punish me? send me to vietnam. the brig would have be a vacation in heaven: 3 square, clean sheets, water, showers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back