If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not exactly sure on the make of this one but it was for the Navy so it is probably safe to assume it's Grumman, I did read that these flew off of Battleships.

Attachments

• Floatplanes 1.jpg
    Floatplanes 1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 227
No prob!

And you had a good guess, as Grumman did make several types for the USN.

A fun bit of trivia: the SOC (Seagull) was in service with the USN from 1933 onward and by 1941, was sharing duties with the Vought Kingfisher. When the replacement, the Curtiss SO3C fell short of the Navy's expectations, the Seagull was brought back from second line duty to serve in front line service for the duration of the war. The only other aircraft of WWII to have this disticntion, was the Hs123...which was also a biplane :lol:

I might add that the Seagull has always been a favorite of mine, too :thumbleft:

I had to do a double-take on that YC-125C...because I was pretty sure there never was a "C" (or seaplane version)...gotta give that artist some credit! :lol:

And that 631 is a good looking aircraft and notice the retractable floats? :thumbleft:

Interestingly enough, I came across a couple "what-ifs" recently:

The Ju87J-2/U-1a
Ju-87J-2U-1a.jpg

Model by Adam Rehorn, see his build here: 1/72 Ju-87 J-2/U-1a: The "Float Stuka" | The Sprue Lagoon

And several interpretations of the Bf109W project in model form...
(The actual Bf109W was designed to be a single float system, based on an F airframe)

bf109w_1.jpg

bf-109-w.jpg

bf109wlf_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back