If It Can Fly, It Can Float!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I assume these have been shown. I'm only 50 pages behind in viewing. :)
SpitFloatplane2.jpg

spit31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The second linked photograph of a catapult launch is FAKE. The original photograph, which has been doctored to show a Spitfire with floats is of US Navy Lt Fred Hunter piloting an OS2U-3 Kingfisher of Cruiser Scouting Squadron 1 as it is catapulted off the cruiser USS Detroit in the Aleutians, 1943-44.
If you don't believe me here it is.

50f8e5dea5e57_zpsaqjzimyc.gif

It's not even a good fake!

spit31_small_zpsayjibia2.gif

The first liked photograph is a genuine image of MJ892, the prototype F Mk IX floatplane Spitfire taken at Beaumaris in July 1944.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Easy, I KNOW that such an aircraft never existed. It took me about five minutes to find the original 'Kingfisher' photograph as the float arrangement looked rather familiar :)
Cheers
Steve

Anyway , someone did some work to fiddle the second image. :lol: To be honest it isn't too difficult to do using the Photoshop for instance.

Anyway , someone did some work to fiddle the second image.

Not very well. He never got rid of the bottom of the original aircraft, that line is nothing like a Spitfire. He also forgot the surround of the original US national marking on the fuselage. Those are just the ones that jumped out at me, I'm sure there are more.
Cheers
Steve

Steve beat me to it !
My first reaction when I saw the image was "What the ....", as I knew that marque had not been trial fitted with floats, and if it had been, it certainly wouldn't have been a single, central sponson !
It didn't take long to figure out that the floats were form a Kingfisher or similar, and then the poor montaging was obvious.
Good stuff Steve.

Have to say, despite all the issues with the photoshopping, that I rather like the look of the single-float Spit. That said, I can't imagine what such a contraption would have been like to pilot - I imagine the torque from the Griffon would have created all sorts of problems for stability on the water.

And the wing floats would have had the whole caboodle bouncing around like a Hippocroccofrog's t*ts !!

'Tramping' was a problem with the Spitfire floatplanes that were built. They also had very little directional control when 'taxying' on water and invariably had to be recovered using a boat. Add that to leaky floats, meaning the aircraft had to be dragged out on a slipway to allow the floats to drain, something not necessarily possible on any operational deployment, and its not difficult to see why so few were converted.
Cheers
Steve

Another bad photoshop job. There's more crap on that website than in a festival portaloo.

I don't mind a bit of fun, the problem is that people will believe anything, just look at the 'history according to random people' thread.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back