I'm doing a CAD model of a Packard V-1650-7 Merlin engine for fun and thought I'd share the progress.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wow, great stuff and your drawing work is excellent. I'm drawing also in SW for a couple of years but still I find it very difficult
Have you discoverd the exploded view function :)

I gave up on the CR-10S printer it just never worked well and never gave an adequate result. So I switched to an Anycubic Photon Mono X, and I gotta say, I'm a bit giddy with the results.

View attachment 619281

You can see a couple galleries of the two prints I have done on it below:

1/24th scale crankcase

1/8th scale crankcase

I decided that in order to finance this little project of mine I would make some aftermarket engines for some of the larger scale models out there that don't really have good Merlin engines. Just for fun I printed one in 1/8th scale and was just gobsmacked at the results. So I also plan to try and make an even larger scale standalone engine kit, probably in 1/8th or even 1/6th scale.

I am currently working on the lower crankcase assembly, a.k.a. the oil pan. I will update you guys that once I have completed the casting. Thanks guys!
Do you have a full scale CAD model? I'd love to build one full size!

hi Rob
your work is great ive just finished a full size Packard merlin, around 50% of the parts are 3D printed thanks to files from Tom Kay. now working on a full 3D printed one. i have your cad files for the crankcase upper and lower is it ok to use it?
here is the finished one.
cheers jamie
merlin4.jpg
merlin3.jpg
merlin2.jpg
merlin1.jpg
merlin pics.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back