I'm doing a CAD model of a Packard V-1650-7 Merlin engine for fun and thought I'd share the progress. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been working on the oil pan on and off for a couple weeks now but I don't have enough to post yet, but I thought I'd take advantage of my down time to upgrade my 3D printer. And of course, what is the first thing I have to print? Take a guess:

UPB3fkE.jpg

It's currently an hour and a half into an estimates 44 hour print. Wish me luck. Say a prayer to the kami of 3D printers.

I gave up on the CR-10S printer it just never worked well and never gave an adequate result. So I switched to an Anycubic Photon Mono X, and I gotta say, I'm a bit giddy with the results.

CgnCY9u.jpg

You can see a couple galleries of the two prints I have done on it below:

1/24th scale crankcase

1/8th scale crankcase

I decided that in order to finance this little project of mine I would make some aftermarket engines for some of the larger scale models out there that don't really have good Merlin engines. Just for fun I printed one in 1/8th scale and was just gobsmacked at the results. So I also plan to try and make an even larger scale standalone engine kit, probably in 1/8th or even 1/6th scale.

I am currently working on the lower crankcase assembly, a.k.a. the oil pan. I will update you guys that once I have completed the casting. Thanks guys!

That's just cool as heck! Is the Anycubic Photon Mono X pretty easy to use?

I basically plugged it and didn't even print a test print. These were my test prints and they were perfect at stock settings. Now, that said, resin 3D printing requires a good deal of cleanup and the resin can give you a nasty rash if you get it on your skin, so it requires a breather mask and latex gloves and a lot of 99% isopropyl alcohol. But it is still 1000% easier than FDM printing, a.k.a. PLA and ABS printing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back