Improve That Design: How Aircraft Could Have Been Made Better

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think that was a combination of an airframe that had been extended to (or beyond) its limits,
Clearly. Just look at the extra fins and stuff all over the tail section. I have been told ours were the highest houred aircraft - I'll confirm it when I'm back at work. They certainly were the highest cycles flown.

Macchi 202 with 2 x 20mm in the wing instead of 2 x LMG which were hardly worth the effort.

or even 2 x 12.7mm guns if they couldn't get enough 20mm guns.

The P51B with the 6 x HMG or even 4 x 20mm that were given to some of the P51A.

One 20mm and one .50 in each wing?
Me109F with a couple of HMG in the wing which I believe Galland had installed.

Well unless you can stuff the MG 131s into the cowl you now have 3 different calibers (not really that important) but that means 3 different times of flight and 3 different trajectories, also not really that important but makes a total hash out of the claims for guns on the center line ;)

Me109E with drop tanks which I understand were first used in the Spanish Civil War in He51 fighters

The He 51 used them but they had been used by a large number of aircraft
Curtiss_P-6_Hawk.jpg

Curtiss P-6 Hawk used a "slipper" tank?
640px-Curtiss_P-6E_Hawk_USAF.jpg

Hawk III/BF2C-1
Curtiss_BF2C-1_Goshawk_VB-5_NAN1-86.jpg

there are others.

or even 2 x 12.7mm guns if they couldn't get enough 20mm guns.

One 20mm and one .50 in each wing?

Well unless you can stuff the MG 131s into the cowl you now have 3 different calibers (not really that important) but that means 3 different times of flight and 3 different trajectories, also not really that important but makes a total hash out of the claims for guns on the center line ;)

The He 51 used them but they had been used by a large number of aircraft
View attachment 548812
Curtiss P-6 Hawk used a "slipper" tank?
View attachment 548813
Hawk III/BF2C-1
View attachment 548814

there are others.
All excellent points

the Beech 1900 appeared to me to be like a small plane trying to be a big one
Exactly. It was a King Air 200 that OD'd on steroids and fell over the 12,500 pound dividing line that separated small aircraft from transport category. It wasn't alone. Metroliners, Banderantes, CASAs, and Jetstreams were also nibbling at that barrier, so the FAA, in its infinite wisdom, created a new "temporary" in-between category called SFAR 41C, which incorporated almost all of the safety and survivability equipment required in transport category, but not the complicated and heavy triple structural redundancies of the big boys.
This was a boon to the commuter airline industry, allowing a generation of economical small airframes to keep growing without being forced to make the high stakes jump to full-on transport category aircraft.
We (Brockway Air) were the launch customer for the 1900C, and operated the airliner version prototype, UB1, N6667L. The actual Type Certificate prototype, UA1, was configured as a corporate executive luxury transport.
We certainly thrashed the p*ss out of ours, each airframe typically flying two aircrew shifts of 8-14 legs each per day, and overnighting in 2-4 outstations consecutively before overnighting at a maintenance base. Fortunately the bird had a very generous MEL due to system redundancy that allowed us to keep operating with lots of gripes in the logbook.
Maintenance wise, the 1900 ate engine mount donuts (cheap) and air cycle air conditioning machines (ouch). We were approved to do hot sections and propeller work in house, instead of having to ship them out as many operators had to.
But despite all the advantages of apparent economy, we had the highest occupied seat mile operating cost in the industry except the Concorde, largely due to our very short legs, our thin (spelled "EAS")* market, and our intense operational pace. Metroliner and Jetstream operators were close behind us.
Apologies for the digression. This is my home turf.
Cheers,
Wes
*EAS = Essential Air Service, government subsidized service to back country communities that had no other passenger common carrier service. Places even Greyhound wouldn't touch for love nor money.

Last edited:
Personally I like to keep the changes to a small scale. There were a number of aircraft which would have been far more effective with little changes.
Macchi 202 with 2 x 20mm in the wing instead of 2 x LMG which were hardly worth the effort.
The P51B with the 6 x HMG or even 4 x 20mm that were given to some of the P51A.
Me109F with a couple of HMG in the wing which I believe Galland had installed.
Me109E with drop tanks which I understand were first used in the Spanish Civil War in He51 fighters
The Spitfire with the larger fuel tanks that were in the Mock-up.

People love talking about this engine/turbo instead of that and often ignore and or forget that these are really heavy and will almost certainly really mess with the COG, weightm wingloading and performance and handling. You don't get something for nothing in aviation
You mean like deleting the wing guns and nose armor from the P-39?

What about the CG without the nose armor, in a plane whose CG was dangerously aft from the start?
We've been honking that horn at him for months now. I wonder if he's tone deaf and can't hear it?
Cheers,
Wes

Radios tended to be as far as possible from engines due to electrical interference generated by the engine.

Many photos of P-39s show some or all of the radios under the rear canopy above the engine.
Then why did you suggest that they move it to where, according to you, it already was ?
I have one cutaway drawing of a P-39, it shows the radio just forward of the horizontal stabilizer .

I think what you think you see in photos, and think is a radio isn't what you think.
In the cutaway drawings the radio appears larger than the area in the canopy behind the pilot.

So even if it could fit, it would for sure completely block any view toward the rear.
So go to the trouble of designing a almost 360 view canopy, then put something behind the pilot that blocks most of his rear view.
I don't think Bell's engineers were that dumb.
Or are you tone deaf to that too ?

Thanks for the insult. It blocks a little of the rear view but not all. Many P-39s already had the radios above the engine so it obviously worked.

I looked at some P39 schematics .
In some they had both the radio receiver, and the transmitter in the rear compartment.
In a few they had the transmitter still in the rear compartment, but the receiver behind the pilot.

The receiver is about 1/.2 to 1/3 the size of the transmitter.

There's no room for it all behind the pilot, and if you somehow found a way to squeeze it all in, it'd make that 360 view canopy useless.

You mean like deleting the wing guns and nose armor from the P-39?
The LMG's in the wing wouldn't have helped much so take them out. However as a personal opinion, the version with the 0.5 in the wing was helpful.
Taking away the nose armour significantly increases the vulnerability of the P39 when attacking bombers, and removing any wing 0.5 makes the P39 far less likely to shoot down the bomber but if that's your choice, feel free.

I noticed the only P-39s I found with the radio behind the pilot's headrest seemed to be Russian P-39s, but didn't check enough pictures to be sure.

I've read some Russian tanks early in the war had receivers only, only company, or platoon CO's had transmitters.
Either they did that because their industry couldn't produce enough transmitters, or it wasn't considered important for the line tanks to be able to talk back, they only needed to hear orders and obey, The CO didn't need advice from them.

Surely the Soviets didn't extend that attitude to aviation too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back