Infantry of World War 2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What does that prove, KK? Nothing. I'd have thought your brain might have picked up on the objectives of the forces. How do you think the Canadians would have done trying to take Caen?

And do you know who the first unit was to complete their objectives on D-Day? 2nd Oxford and Bucks at Pegasus (Caen De Canal) Bridge with the loss of two men. Proves nothing.

I agree it ties up resources and is inefficient waiting for headquarters to approve advance. It often means that the Allies could have in theory set up traps for the Germans to fall into. Also by the time approval came through, the situation could have turned that action into a suicide march.

But the Canadians were the best looking guys out there. :-"

;)

I tend to agree, Adler. We owe a great, great deal to all the fellas who did their part during the landings and afterward, regardless of nationality.
O Canada, God Save the Queen, and God Bless America! :cool:

You should have kicked him into touch then, NS. If he didn't know it was the King during World War II, then he's in the wrong.

You've got to admit it has been a while since we had a monarch change. Queen Elizabeth the II first appeared on Australian Coins in 1953 and she is still on our Australian coins now. The only monarch to appear on a pre-decimal and decimal circulation issue. She has been on the throne for about 53 years. That means that there would be an awesome number of people who wouldn't remember there being any previous monarch other than a Queen in their lifetime.

Due to a lack of historical knowledge.

plan_D said:
Due to a lack of historical knowledge.
Not me though. I've got me grandad's medals to prove there was a king! George was 'is name, and he was the 6th one! :)

:lol:

Well ok, I haven't got grandad's medals yet but I'm well aware of George VI. Most people are. ;)

Come over to Britain and ask people who was the monarch during World War 2, you'll be shocked so much that you'll wet yourself then have a cardiac arrest from the...erh...shock.

Yes and it was the American's fault they didn't have the DD tanks. What is your point? Is this the basis of your argument that American troops were the best?

plan_D said:
Yes and it was the American's fault they didn't have the DD tanks. What is your point? Is this the basis of your argument that American troops were the best?
Where was he saying that American troops were the best? He's right. The Americans at Omaha had the toughest go of all, and they managed to take the beach without the DD tanks. They did it at a tremendous cost, like evan said, but they still did it. Good on 'em, I say. :salute:

Thank god they did manage it.

And no one will ever take that away from the men on Omaha. I'm sure most people will agree that it's certainly not a basis of argument for the supreme infantry formations of World War 2.

Exactly. Like we were saying earlier this thread, any man who shed his blood or survived D-Day, hell, any major battle is a hero. This ones for you Uncle Archie. I may never know your story, but you fought well.

Found out he fought at the Battle of the Bulge and the Hurtgen forest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back