Is Democracy Over-rated?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lmao...well, you see how well it took...we still drink coffee, drive on the proper side of the road with automatic trannies all while enjoying the democratic freedom to choose the beer of our own liking!

We just didn't say anything because you guys were under alot of stress at the time :evil4:

lmao...well, you see how well it took...we still drink coffee, drive on the proper side of the road with automatic trannies all while enjoying the democratic freedom to choose the beer of our own liking!

We just didn't say anything because you guys were under alot of stress at the time :evil4:

hahaha...that brought a smile.
American beer..With the greatest respect its no different to the lager the Europeans call 'beer'. Beer is our domain.
We may have copied some parts of your American culture like 1950's fins and Harley Davidson's but, you cannot build a decent sports car...well one that goes around corners anyway.
I think that you secretly envy us and would love to be part of the Commonwealth and enjoy our patronage.:lol:
John

Last edited:

Hmmm...driving on the "proper" side of the road? You drive on the right...you copied the French!! Enough said! EVERYONE knows the proper side of the road to drive on is the left.

As for most American beers...time to roll out the old "sex in a canoe" gag!

I think that you secretly envy us and would love to be part of the Commonwealth and enjoy our patronage.:lol:
John

And live for a monarchy? Yeah never in a million years...

As for most American beers...time to roll out the old "sex in a canoe" gag!

Yes that is something we American's can not be proud of.

When it comes to beer, I claim my German side of the family... :lol:

That would be a Brit car over here

Only decent Brit Car would be a Landrover, and it was originally built on a Jeep chassis. ;)

Last edited:
And live for a monarchy? Yeah never in a million years...

Yes that is something we American's can not be proud of.

When it comes to beer, I claim my German side of the family... :lol:

Only decent Brit Car would be a Landrover, and it was originally built on a Jeep chassis. ;)

You American's protest too much.:lol:

I know you are in your heart of hearts rather jealous of Blighty.

A monarchy, hundreds of years of history, an Empire Commonwealth where we were loved and admired, traditions, legends, a full range of real ale, proper sports cars, the Supermarine Spitfire and a temperate climate. These are the basis of a nation and even Mr Cameron and the EU cannot take that away from us.

Not to mention all the inventions that have stemmed from Britain.

Decent British cars? The list is endless...:car20:

John

The prototype Landrover was built on a jeep chassis but that's about it. As for it being the only decent Brit car, have you ever driven a Mini? Other than flying, it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Mini's are unbeatable on the tight twisty roads in the South West. Fantastic fun.

John

That would be a Brit car over here

Well, there were some build quality issues years ago with some sports cars. But, getting a Triumph to run properly with all the US emission crap attached to it is part of the challenge Neil.

I don't believe that all USA cars were made that well either....

John

Looks like I'm missing all of the fun again. Haha, hope everyone's doing good. Would post more but school's killing me. Well, I don't think Democracy is overrated. Sure, we have done bad things in the past (then again, everyone else does). But, democratic countries are one of the few forms of government that will aknowledge that these bad things have happened-well, at least from the response of the people. In truth, I am perfectly happy living in a democratic country. Like the US...we may have faults, but it is human to have faults, even in government. Unfortunately, nobody is perfect. That being said, I wouldn't mind living in the Isles (Ireland in particular). Might be fun. Oh, and American cars are great, but I've had my 1998 Volvo S70 for almost five years now, and I love that car. You Brit's make great cars too, but the Swedes are pretty high up there as well. :)

Careful John ..... :) Is this really what you think about us Canadians ..... (from Your Guardian link):

".... Canada is kind of a weird place. The stereotypical pleasantries of its peoples are there, but they rest on the edge of mass insecurity, just this side of a fully fledged personality disorder."

Now, you see most people would be insulted by that .... :)

Proud Canadian ... I think ... :)

MM

Last edited:
Proud Canadian ... I think ...

Hey Mike, In my short existence I've come across many Canadians (they let you out??) and I've found them pretty laid back and keen on a good drink. I guess people are always different when they are not in their home country. I was fond of a girl from Saskatchewan (??) once. The people I met had pretty ambivalent feelings about ("aboot") their home, with few interests except sports (hah kee!) and doing sweet f**k all!

I'd love to visit Canada someday; I hear the scenery is fantastic and you guys have some great aviation museums and warbirds over there.

When you have a big engine, who needs to turn. In the 1950 Le Mans, a slightly modified Cadillac coupe came in 10th! A more heavily modified Cadillac came in 11th, after a crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back