Is this an A26 or a F7F

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Theres a spirited debate on the B29 forum about this aircraft. It was taken in 1945 or 1946 on Guam.

Is it an A26 or a F7F? I'm leaning for the A26 because of the wing span.

If you respond, tell me the reason you think so.

Attachments

• ShowLetter.jpg
    ShowLetter.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 291
If it's an A-26, look at the canopy, no clamshells. Is it an early one? I tried to blow up the photo, can't make it out.

Zooming the picture shows a clamshell arrangement for the front undercarriage as opposed to being attached to the leg down to the wheel.

Also visible are the air intakes on the cowling tops.

A-26 for my choice.

Attachments

• f7f.jpg
    f7f.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 228
  • zoom.jpg
    zoom.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 226
I have no idea how anyone can think that plane is a F7F Tigercat. One give away is the glazed nose ! :rolleyes:

Lanc, the guys who were debating it were flying these aircraft since before our parents were little babies or even before they were born.

Sometimes their memory has faded a bit.

Plus they pointed out that sometimes the planes were modified on the airfield for one reason or another and it was never documented "officially". I would not put it past some marine to say "if the AAF had droop snoot P38's, why cant we have droop snoot Tigercats".

I would definitely say A-26. Here are shots of both. I noticed that shot came from airliners.net. Do you have a direct link to the shot? I would like to see it bigger.

Attachments

• DSC_5244.jpg
    DSC_5244.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 148
  • F7F_DSC_2628.jpg
    F7F_DSC_2628.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 163

Users who are viewing this thread

Back