Italian Heavy Cruiser Fiume

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Honestly I don't know, it's also shown in the colour profile included in this Warship Pictorial

Warship Pictorial.JPG

vista sin.jpg

Alberto

As memo serves the bow fin was a part of the mine paravane system. There were holes in the fin where two pairs of paravane chains were pulled through and attached to the bow top at the area of an anchoring system. The paravane would be strung out and streamed alongside the towing ship, normally from the bow. The wings of the paravane would tend to force the body away from the towing ship, placing a lateral tension on the towing wire. If the tow cable snagged the cable anchoring a mine then the anchoring cable would be cut, allowing the mine to float to the surface where it could be destroyed by gunfire.

Although I haven't noticed the paravane chains in most pictures of R.N. Zara, R.N. Fiume or R.N. Pola but drawings of the heavy cruiser class show the system for Zara and Fume in 1941. Here is a pic of R.N. Zara you may notice these chains in. Also here an image of the HMS Glatton in dry dock showing the paravane chains at the bow.

Italian cruiser Zara.jpg

HMS_Glatton_in_drydock.jpg

Zara 1941.jpg

Fume 1941.jpg

Last edited:
Very, very interesting!!!
may be I will add those paravane chains to my model.
Many thank for the tip.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back