Japanese aircraft colours

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hrojicus

Airman
Aug 8, 2009
Okay guys I know nothing of these colours but I think the aircraft are really cool looking. Which is why we do this right?? Yesterday I bought an H1K2-J in 1/48. Its the Hasegawa kit. The instruction sheet calls for 50/50 nakajima and mitsubishi for the cockpit. I gather these are Gunze paint. I have had terrible luck spraying Gunze.

What other brands are available for IJN aircraft? I imagine Tamiya would have something. Oh yeah, I am about to get a crash course in NMF so am all over the place reading tutorials. Are there any websites or books available? I don't believe Japanese aircraft have gotten the attention that the luftwaffe has.

-Roger

Can't help with the IJN paints I'm afraid, but as far as NMF is concerned, there's a guide to a way I do it, I think on Page 6 of the 'Painting Questions' section, which might give you some ideas.

Thanks and yes i've read that tutorial of yours about 50 times! I googled up some pretty crazy stuff. Lots of colour photographs and paint mixes. All very inspirational.

I live on this forum now.
-Roger:twisted:

Thanks for the link. It's real sink your teeth into stuff! which is perfect for me because I love research too. Yeah man I mean't Shidenkai it's the late version. A 1/48 kit by Hasegawa. Best ten bucks i've spent in this hobby Wayne. Building the cockpit assembly was a joyous experience.

I found more links with good profiles but my computer tells me not to download them because of "threats" This week I am going to see if I can find a good Oscar kit! one of the shops here in Calgary has been having a massive sale and all the 1/48 stuff is getting snapped up quick.

Thanks again, looks like it's time to order some books.

-Roger

No worries Roger, there are 2 versions of the Shiden-kai the early with a broad tail and late with a narrow tail....this kit is a very nice one with fantastic detail...got a couple myself which markings you doing?

You don't have much choice colour wise....uppers were Kawanishi Dark Green, lower surface Natural metal....

Last edited:
Hi Wayne, and everyone else! The markings are gonna be 701 sq. 343rd. NFG. Out of the box. Something I realized today while out on the prowl is the newer tamiya paint racks all have the federal standard number by the X number which helps. There is not alot of Gunze available in calgary anymore except at uncle bills. A very good but far away and expensive shop. So a scale switch and a move to acrylics is happening at the Nilson house these days.

Bits at a time though. I desperately need a new compressor.

-All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back